WPL ROUND-UP: Matchday 4



Bala failed to score again in their ‘home’ fixture against Carmarthen at Latham Park, Newtown. Their only goals this season have come from the penalty spot.

Despite Bala’s lack of action in front of goal, they can also take credit for having a stern defence, with five clean sheets from nine games carried over from last season.


Llandudno bounced back from their late defeat to Aberyswyth on Sunday by beating Airbus, just two days on from the defeat.

Ross Barkley of Everton was a spectator as he and 300 other people witnessed Llandudno finally get off the mark with their first win of the season.

John Owen controlled the ball well before going one-on-one with the goalkeeper and then lofting the ball over him.

Lewis Buckley doubled Dudno’s lead when he ran with the ball on the edge of the box, dribbled past defenders before unleashing a powerful shot.



Cardiff Metropolitan almost caused TNS a scare on Wednesday evening at Cyncoed Campus when they opened the scoring against the league leaders.

Isaac Philpot scored Cardiff Met’s first ever Premier League goal in the twenty-seventh minute through a well worked free-kick, where it was laid off and the right-back found space to fire home much to the delight of the home crowd.

The lead was short lived though as The New Saints earned a free-kick to the near flank of the box in which Chris Seargeant sent a dipping free kick over keeper Will Fuller.

Only five minutes later, The New Saints would score from another set piece, this time coming through via a penalty, in which Seargeant doubled his tally, successfully sending the keeper the wrong way. The two teams went in at the break in a fairly even game in which the half was one won on set pieces.

READ  Rhyl striker Jones returns to Maesdu Park with Premier League ambition

The New Saints came out in the second half in the attacking ascendancy with a free kick cannoned off the crossbar from Chris Marriott. Met would fail to find an equaliser in the second half despite having a spell of their own.


Andy Legg’s Bangor beat Newtown in a win that would see them move up to second in the table, withjust the one defeat this season to the Nomads.

Debutant River Humphreys was sent off for an off the ball incident in which he swung an elbow as Jason Oswell chased a header that missed both.

David Jones would loft a ball from a goal kick into the path of Jack Steven-Hughes who put Craig Williams in on the flank to cross in where Jason Oswell would nod home.

Before the first half closed Bangor City would equalise through Welsh Premier League veteran Jamie Reed with the defender not following his path he was free to head home.

A lofted ball that would evade Clowes but get into the path of Reed proved to be vital as Reed was obstructed by Kieran Mills-Evans in which the defender would give a penalty to the home side.

Gary Roberts would take the penalty, sending the keeper the wrong way much to the delight of the home crowd.


Rhyl bounced back from a crushing 10-0 defeat from TNS, beating Aberyswyth Town 3-1. Nial McGuiness rejuvenated his men, beating an impressive Aberyswyth side. Aber started off the scoring, front man Blake Davies scoring his first goal for the club, with a composed finish in which he kept the ball at his feet well before unleashing a shot from outside the box to put the visitors in front.

READ  An Interview with Cardiff Met keeper Will Fuller

Luke Borelli stung the palms of keeper Owen Evans from a free-kick in which it looked like it was going in.

Oliver Buckley of Rhyl started an attack in his own half in which he dribbled past numerous Aberyswyth defenders with some skilled dribbling, before slotting home past the opposition goalkeeper making it 1-1.

Tom Hartley would then launch a diagonal free-kick into the air which would find the head of former Aber man Carl Lamb who was playing with a point to prove against his former side.

Rhyl would then double their lead in the second half as they scored a well worked free-kick with Tom Hartley dummying a shot to allow Carl Lamb to hit it with his right foot to put Rhyl two goals in front and to grab his second of the night.


[Written by @WillCatter]

Druids and Nomads played out a stalemate at Park Hall on Wednesday evening. Connah’s Quay started the game strongly with two efforts from Michael Wilde in the first minute, but a well drilled Druids side fought their way into the game.

Both sides looked to create chances, but cancelled each other out respectively. The goalless draw pleased newly promoted Cefn Druids whilst high-flying Nomads were left frustrated, taking solace in their sixth consecutive clean sheet in the league.

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.