Match Report: Carmarthen Town 1-1 Bangor City

Dave Vincent scored Carmarthen Town’s 500th home league goal since gaining promotion to the league in 1996 to rescue a point for the Old Gold against Bangor on Saturday.

In an evenly contested game, Bangor City started the brighter and Carmarthen’s Lee Idzi had to be alert to turn over a 25 yard free kick from Gary Roberts after just two minutes. Idzi was called upon again minutes later with a great reflex save from Damien Allen. The resulting corner was met by Daniel Nardiello whose shot hit the post and bounced to safety. 

Carmarthen slowly got into the game and just before the 20 minute mark had their best chance. Dan Sheehan’s free kick was headed across goal by Lee Surman and Matthew Thomas failed to meet the ball properly after good work by the Citizens keeper Connor Roberts. Just after the half hour, Carmarthen were forced into two changes, the influential Lewis Harling and Matthew Thomas were both forced off due to injury and were replaced with Dwaine Bailey and Craig Hanford. Carmarthen’s eleven consisting of six defenders and a defensive midfielder affected their ability to push forward.

With much of the second half being played in the middle third of the pitch and the game looking likely to be heading to a goalless draw, the game suddenly sparked into life after 71 minutes. Bangor City’s Henry Jones was shown a straight red card by referee Leigh Jones after stamping on Jordan Knott after a challenge. Strangely Carmarthen’s Kyle Bassett, suspended for this game, was sent off for the same offence just two weeks ago against Llandudno on this exact part of the pitch.

READ  Met boss Edwards not worried despite desired for side to be more 'clinical'

Carmarthen now took the initiative and on 75 minutes some good work from Mark Jones and Ceri Morgan led to Kieran Lewis shooting just wide. However, despite the extra man Carmarthen soon fell behind on 76 minutes. Bangor’s Jordan Davies burst into the box and Carmarthen’s Dan Sheehan mistimed his tackle to bring down Davies. Referee Leigh Jones had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. Gary Roberts’ fine penalty gave Bangor the lead. 

Carmarthen now piled on the pressure and in the 86th minute Dave Vincent rose highest to head in Kieran Lewis’ corner high into the roof of the net. Sensing victory, Carmarthen now rallied in the final minutes and in injury time Liam Thomas narrowly headed over again from a Lewis corner. In the end, both teams were happy with a point.

Next up for Carmarthen Town is a home game against local rivals Aberystwyth Town while Bangor City travel to Rhyl.

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.