MATCH REPORT: Cardiff Metropolitan University 2-1 Prestatyn Town

Welsh Premier League

Cyncoed Campus, Cardiff

Saturday, September 30, 2017



Cardiff Metropolitan University shook off a spirited Prestatyn Town side, to take a crucial three points at Cyncoed Campus. 

The home team dominated affairs in the first-half, and held out for the result in the second-half as they kept their unbeaten home record intact. 

After seven minutes of play, Prestatyn Town’s Ross Stephens put in a well-delivered corner, and Jack Lewis bolted a header just wide.  His only reward was another corner which came to nothing.

Three minutes later, Cardiff’s Charlie Corsby took the ball off the defender, and rushed away before slotting it passed the goalkeeper to make it 1-0.

It would only take another 10 minutes until they made it 2-0; a quick free-kick was passed to Adam Roscrow, who powerfully placed the ball into the bottom left corner of the net.  The Prestatyn manager, Neil Gibson was outraged that the free-kick had been awarded, and the referee sent him to the stand.

The Met were not letting up as they continued to attack in waves and forced the struggling Seasiders to retreat into defence.  It was becoming quite clear who the victors were likely to be.

Prestatyn were not having any luck, as on the 46th minute James Stead played in Jack Kenny who bared down on goal, although he put the ball just wide and was flagged offside.

The Seasiders were determined and they continued to press in the hunt for a goal to give themselves a chance.  On the 53rd minute, Jack Kenny had a chance to pull a goal back for his side, however his header went behind the goal for a goal-kick.  Then two minutes later, they were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box, because Kyle McCarthy was holding onto Noah Edwards; Josh Barnett got in the way of the shot to deny them a route back into the game.

READ  Bala Town sign former developmental Bolton Wanderers midfielder Hyuga Tanner

It was seeming impossible for Prestatyn to score, as the great wall of Will Fuller pulled out a reaction save as Paul O’Neill powered a header on target, on the 61st minute.  One minute later, The Seasiders had a penalty appeal waved away to the great frustration of their support.

The Met then broke away, and Josh Barnett played an exquisite pass to Roscrow who cut in from the left-hand side, but Carl Jones made a textbook save to deny him a second goal.

On the 79th minute, a confusing incident occurred as Rhys Thomas and Paul O’Neill collided which brought a stop to play, and Roscrow went into the referee’s notebook.

Prestatyn deserved a goal for their non-stop interrogation of The Met defence, and it came on the 92nd minute from Noah Edwards who blasted the ball into the right corner of the net.  It was a tense end to the game as The Seasiders continued to attack, hunting for the equalising goal, although it did not come.

Cardiff deserved to win for their outstanding attacking display in the first-half, and their ability to stay strong in defence, preventing Prestatyn from clawing back to grasp any form of result.

CARDIFF METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY Fuller; Rees, McCarthy; Woolridge (C), Lewis; Barnett (Howell 65), Evans; Baker, Roscrow (Hope 87); Corsby, Lam (Thomas 70)

Not Used: Swindlehurst, Morgan

PRESTATYN TOWN: Jones; Kemp (C), O’Neill (Taylor 81); Fairhurst, Lewis; Edwards, Stephens; Edwards, Stead (Williams 66); Maher, Kenny

Not Used: Roberts,  Shackleton

 Man of the Match: Chris Baker

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.