Shocks galore in JD Welsh Cup Round One

The first round proper of the JD Welsh cup commenced up and down the country today, and after some surprising results a number of of lower-level teams have secured their place in the second round hat. 

Rhyl FC’s hopes a of a cup run were dashed by Welsh Alliance Division One side Llandudno Albion, who defeated the Lilywhites 3-2 to secure possibly the biggest result of the round.

The Albion made their intentions clear after around 10 minutes of play, when Maddocks caught the Rhyl keeper off his line to send a 30 yard effort into the goal. The minnow-side’s lead was short lived however, as a Mark Connolly free kick brought Rhyl back into the game.

Rhyl began to see more of the ball and put pressure on their opponents, eventually taking the lead in the second half via Buckley. But this time it was Albion’s turn to equalise and they did so in a matter of minutes after Davies made it 2-2.

The tie remained level into the final 10 minutes, and after holding their own against a Rhyl side throughout, Llandudno Albion found the winning goal late on to secure a historic win for the club which has only been in existence since 2014.

South Wales was also treated to a selection of Welsh Cup dramas, none bigger than ex-finalists Port Talbot Town losing to Welsh League Division Two side Aberbargoed Buds. Two goals, one of them a penalty, was enough to give the Buds a Welsh League Division One scalp along with their place in round two.

FC Queens Park have made waves in recent seasons after claiming the Welsh National League title and earning promotion to the Huws Gray Alliance, but they were undone by third tier Mid Wales league Llanrhaedr who defeated the Park by three goals to nil.

READ  Cambrian & Clydach BGC host W John Owen Cup Final between Penydarren and Blaenrhondda

A cup-fairytale continued for South Wales Alliance League Pencoed Athletic, who are in the hat for the second round in their first ever JD Welsh Cup campaign. They beat Welsh Football League Division Three’s Pontyclun in a derby that went right to the wire, with Pencoed beating Ponty 8-7 in a sudden death penalty shootout.

Pencoed are now the second lowest ranked side left in the competition above Welsh National League Division One’s Penley, who secured a 5-3 win against Mochdre Sports on penalties.

Bucking the trend and protecting their Welsh Cup status was Porthmadog, who secured a 3-0 win over North East Wales League outfit Penyffordd Lions.

All teams who progressed today will find out their next opponent in the round two draw, which takes place on Sunday 8 October at Cardiff City Stadium, streamed live on the official Welsh FA’s Facebook page at 12pm.


Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.