Seasiders stun Citizens in top flight Friday night action

Prestatyn Town claimed the scalp of JD Welsh Premier giants Bangor City on Friday evening, beating them 4-2 at the Motion Finance Stadium. 

The Citizens came into the fixture looking to end a disappointing run of results in which they had lost to Barry Town and Cardiff Met, but the Seasiders heaped further woe on Kevin Nicholson’s side in a pulsating fixture.

Neil Gibson’s Prestatyn found the opening goal via a Jack Kenny effort inside the first two minutes, however Town’s lead was short lived after a 7th minute Dean Rittenburg goal brought things level.

Despite the full time result it was Bangor who looked the more impressive side in the first half, with their slick style and organisation paying dividends in the 20th minute when Steven Hewitt controlled a 25 yard effort well to send Bangor 2-1 up.

However, losing their lead proved to be a catalyst for Prestatyn who fought back to make it 2-2 at half time thanks to a finish from Reece Fairhurst, who was able to tap in a Stead corner after Ben Maher’s header attempt rebounded off the post.

The second half would go on to belong to Prestatyn as they unleashed a counter-attacking style on Bangor, who were reduced to 10 men after Shaw earned two yellow cards.

The home side finally began to pull away from Bangor when an impressive 25 yard shot from Maher curled into the top right corner of the Bangor net, in an effort widely proclaimed to be a goal of the season contender.

Although Bangor pressed hard for an equaliser, their loss was confirmed in the 90th minute when Kenny pounced on a mistake to secure his brace and a major result for Prestatyn in their search for top six qualification.

READ  No one at Connah's Quay is undroppable, Morrison warns

Other action in the top flight saw TNS travel to Aberystwyth, who were looking to push on after their first win of the season over Llandudno last week.

And Neville Powell’s side got off to a good start, leading 1-0 via a 15th minute Declan Walker strike. Aberystwyth almost held this scoreline until the interval, but Greg Draper, who had rolled a shot wide in a clear chance for the Saints earlier on, beat keeper Mullan with a rebound shot to send the scores 1-1.

A spirited second half was played out by both sides, but an own goal from John McKenna in the 50th minute made all the difference and was enough to send TNS home with an expected yet hard fought three points.

Featured Image: John Pickels

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.