MATCH REPORT: Barry Town United 0-2 Cardiff Metropolitan University – Clinical Met punish Barry as they advance to Nathaniel MG Cup semi-final

Cardiff Metropolitan University progressed to the semi-finals of the Nathaniel MG Cup after defeating Barry Town United at Jenner Park courtesy of goals from Chris Baker and Emlyn Lewis.

Barry Town United had the first opportunity of the match after two minutes, when Drew Fahiya whipped in a troubling cross for Louis Gerrard who put the ball onto the roof of the net from six yards.

Callum Sainty hobbled off to the side of the pitch three minutes later, after being fouled by an opposition player to win a free kick, although he returned to the field after the untroubling set piece was taken.

Cardiff Metropolitan University had the majority of possession as they looked for a break in the defence to exploit.  An opportunity came after 14 minutes for Charlie Corsby as he entered the area from the left flank but skied his shot.

It was a derby game and there were a few rough challenges which forced the referee to step in and have a word with a couple of players to calm them down.

After 21 minutes, Fahiya went down inside the penalty area and the home crowd cried for a penalty, although the player himself seemed to accept that the referee had made the correct decision.

Dr Christian Edwards decided to make an early substitution three minutes later, and he took off the already booked Josh Barnett who had just committed another foul.

Image: Matthew Lofthouse

On the half hour mark, Will Evans smashed a shot just wide of goal in a half of few opportunities.  Just after that, Gerrard hobbled off injured and both sides only had two substitutions remaining.

READ  Meet the man who has transformed surprise semi-finalists Cambrian & Clydach Vale

Five minutes later, Kyle McCarthy beautifully laid the ball off for Chris Baker who hammered the ball into the bottom right corner of the net, to give the away side a 1-0 lead.

Then the students looked to quickly double their advantage as Will Evans headered over from in front of goal, a minute later.

Frustration seemed to be creeping into the Barry players heads, and Kayne Mclaggon was shown yellow card after pushing a Cardiff player who had been awarded a free kick, after 39 minutes.

Two minutes into added time, the United goalkeeper parried the ball into the back of his own net, however it was disallowed because the referee believed that he had been fouled.

Cardiff Met lead 0-1 at half time, but they would have a big second half ahead of them as they looked to seal their spot in the semi-finals.

Image: Matthew Lofthouse

The first action of the second half saw the away side appeal for a penalty after 49 minutes, when Evans tumbled to the ground in the penalty area, although the referee decided that there was nothing wrong with the challenge.

Barry were on the hunt for an equaliser and 6 minutes later, they were awarded a free kick from around 25 yards out, however Jordan Cotterill opted to pass to Luke Cooper, whose shot flew over the bar.

The home side continued to push in waves of attack and after 59 minutes, Mclaggon fired a shot into the safe hands of the Cardiff goalkeeper.

Eight minutes later, Baker demonstrated great determination to take possession away from a Barry defender and stride into the box, however Cotterill tracked back well to stop him and win a free kick.

READ  FIVE players who could stake a claim for the Welsh Premier League Golden Boot

Evans almost gave Met a two-goal lead after 69 minutes, although his strong shot from the edge of the area went just wide of goal to the relief of Barry Town.

Image: Matthew Lofthouse

Seven minutes later, Evans was at it again as he smashed a shot on goal that looked destined to rock the back of the net, although the Barry goalkeeper pulled out a brilliant save to put the ball behind for a corner.  From the set piece, Emlyn Lewis slid in to get his foot to the ball and put his side 0-2 up after 77 minutes.

In the final 10 minutes of the match, the away side dominated, firing siege onto Joe Massaro’s goal and the hosts appeared to have given up on the affair.

The game ended in a deserved 2-0 victory for Christian Edwards side, who dominated proceedings in the first half, before bagging a goal and then becoming resilient in defence as Barry Town United pushed in search of an equaliser, and using their counter attacking prowess to seal victory as Lewis poked home from close range.

The students can now look forward to tomorrow when they see who they will be facing in the semi-finals of the Nathaniel MG Cup, before heading to face The New saints on the weekend in a clash of the titans as the top two meet at Park Hall.

Barry Town United on the other hand will look to put this particular defeat behind them when hosting Connah’s Quay Nomads on the weekend.

BARRY TOWN UNITED: Massaro, Cooper, Watkins, Morgan, Hugh, Sainty (Greening 49’), Saddler (C), Cotterill, Jones (Webbe 67’), Fahiya, Gerrard (McLaggon 30’)

READ  RECAP: Barry Town United Vs Afan Lido - Nathaniel MG Cup

Subs Not Used: Cosslett, Lewis, George.

CARDIFF METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY: Willis, Rees, McCarthy, Woolridge (C), Lewis, Barnett (Bowler 24’), Evans, Baker, Roscrow (Thomas 89’), Corsby (Owen 66’), Evans

Subs Not Used: Edwards, Lloyd

(Featured image: Matthew Lofthouse)

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.