MATCH REPORT: Cardiff Metropolitan University 1-0 Newtown – Archers made to work hard for place in Nathaniel MG Cup final

Under the floodlights of Cyncoed Campus, Cardiff Metropolitan ran out 1-0 victors against a stern Newtown side to progress to the final of the Nathaniel MG Cup.

From the outset of the match, possession was mixed with the majority being in the centre of the park as both sides battled it out in the hunt for the opening goal of the game.

However, the first half was not action packed and both sides had little opportunities in front of goal.  Furthermore, Newtown showed their defensive resilience as they conceded just the one goal to the league leaders, enjoying more of the chances.

The closest attempt of the half came from the away side after 43 minutes.  Nick Rushton connected with a corner to head on target from around six yards, however, Dylan Rees was there to brilliantly clear the ball off the line and keep the game at a stalemate.

Cardiff’s half-time decision to push higher up the pitch, allowed them to have the majority of possession and attack in waves.  However, that only lasted for a short period of time as Newtown began to adapt to the home side’s style of play and grow into the game again.

Met came close after 65 minutes, when Adam Roscrow progressed into the box from the right side, before flicking the ball around the goalkeeper and hammering it into the side netting, as the Newtown defence rushed back to cover their goal line.  It looked to be a certain goal.

Extra time looked likely, until the deadlock was broken after 87th minutes.  Roscrow hit a finesse shot from the left side of the box which deflected off the head of a Newtown defender, and high into the air.  Then, Eliot Evans leapt from the right side of the six-yard box, floating his header over the goalkeeper and into the left side of the net, putting Met 1-0 up.

READ  Cardiff Metropolitan University 1-2 Bangor City - Citizens grind out narrow win to leapfrog Bala into third

The dramatic late goal booked Cardiff Met’s place in the final for the first time in their history.

FULL TIME: Cardiff Metropolitan University 1-0 Newtown

Cardiff Metropolitan University: Fuller, Rees, Edwards, Woolridge, Lewis, Corsby, Evans, Baker, Roscrow, Evans (Bowler 81’), McCarthy (Owen 67’).

Subs Not Used: Thomas, Barnett, Evans, Morgan.

Newtown: Jones, Williams, Sears, Mills-Evans, Mitchell, Kenton, Boundford, Denny, Cartwright, Rushton, Murphy (Reed 78’).

Subs Not Used: Goodwin, Price, Evans, Perry.

(Featured Image: Callum Ellis)

One thought on “MATCH REPORT: Cardiff Metropolitan University 1-0 Newtown – Archers made to work hard for place in Nathaniel MG Cup final”

  1. ernie says:

    really think u were watching a differnt game mate newtown were the best team in the first half and met just shaded the 2nd. plus the fluliest goal u will see all season

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.