Round Up: JD Welsh Premier Matchweek 15

With 15 weeks of the JD Welsh Premier League now passed, an unprecedented four teams are in contention for a title race whilst the rest of the table remains extremely tight with the Phase One split coming thick and fast. 

Bangor 5-0 Bala Town

Bangor City have well and truly thrown their hat back into the title race, as an impressive 2-0 win away to Connah’s Quay was followed by a demolition of the Lakesiders at the VSM Stadium on Friday evening.

First half goals came from Gary Taylor-Fletcher and Stephen Hewitt which saw Bangor take control of the encounter.

Although Bala came out strong in the second half, a great individual performance from Bangor stopper Matthew Hall kept them at bay before a Dean Rittenburg strike and Luke Wall brace made it a night to remember for the Citizens faithful.

The result dramatically boosts Bangor’s title contention, whilst Bala will look to fix their defensive leaks as they look to once again qualify for Europe.

Aberystwyth 3-0 Newtown AFC 

Aberystwyth continued their upturn in form to stay outside of the relegation zone with a 3-0 win over a stuttering Newtown side on Friday evening.

The game was a six pointer with both sides in the wrong end of the table, and it was Aberystwyth who were quicker off the mark when a 30th minute John McKenna goal sent them ahead at half time.

Although Newtown had mostly matched their hosts in the first half, a goal soon after the restart from Craig Hobson gave the hosts control with Hobson securing a brace with 20 minutes to go.

READ  Newtown re-sign forward Reed, defender Rose joins

The result sees Neville Powell slowly but surely building momentum at Park Avenue, with consistency costing the Robins big time as they face the prospect of another season in the bottom six.

Cefn Druids 2-1 Barry Town United 

Cefn Druids have meanwhile gone one step closer to reaching the top six with a home victory over Barry Town.

After an even first half a stalemate was looking like a safe bet, but Naim Arsan broke the deadlock for Druids early in the second half. Three minutes later, Chris Hugh netted a 55th minute goal to equalise for Barry.

The decider came late on as Jonathan Taylor sent Druids ahead in the second half, with a tight finish seeing the hosts hold on for a significant win.

The New Saints 5-2 Carmarthen Town

The New Saints retook their place at the top of the table in a game against the basement boys which was closer fought than the scoreline suggests.

Carmarthen couldn’t have started better as Kyle Williams netted after 90 seconds, before TNS flexed their goal scoring muscles with goals from Greg Draper, Wes Fletcher and Ryan Leak all coming in the first 30 minutes of the game.

But the Old Gold’s Liam Walsh made it 3-2 before half time, keeping the chance of an upset on the cards.

TNS were kept on their toes throughout the second half by a spirited Carmarthen performance, but a 90th minute plus stoppage time double from Jamie Mullan sent the Champions back to the top of the league.

Carmarthen will be disappointed to not have pulled off an upset, as they look increasingly in need of a miracle to avoid the drop to the Welsh Football League.

READ  Cardiff Metropolitan University 2-1 Newtown: Clinical students claim opening day victory against wasteful Robins

Prestatyn 1-3 Llandudno FC 

Iwan Williams finally got off the mark as Llandudno manager with a 3-1 victory at the Motion Finance stadium.

In an atmospheric setting under the floodlights of Prestatyn, the opening of the game was cagey, but Danny Hughes settled Llandudno’s nerves with a 10th minute strike to send them 1-0 up.

A close first half followed with no further goals before half time, but after the interval Marc Williams struck early before Danny Hughes sealed a double on 69 minutes.

The likes of Noah Edwards and Jack Kenny went close for the Seasiders as they rued missed chances to get back into the game.

Jack Lewis netted a consolation goal for Prestatyn, but the night belonged to Iwan Williams and Llandudno as they eye top six qualification in their new era.

Cardiff Met 0-0 Connah’s Quay Nomads

A stalemate between the two best defensive sides in the league was always likely, and this came true when Connah’s Quay travelled to Cyncoed Campus on Sunday.

Adam Roscrow had the best chance for Cardiff in the first half, during which the hosts were on top without causing a typically rigid Andy Morrison side too many problems.

The stalemate intensified in the second half with no major incidents thanks to Met and Nomads’ highly organised defensive outfits.

The point suits both sides as second placed Cardiff and fourth placed Connah’s Quay both remain well in the title race and have all but confirmed top six qualification already.

Featured Image: MLofthouse PJ



Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.