Ammanford second half comeback maintains promotion charge

A second half comeback helped Ammanford AFC take sole charge of second place in Welsh League Division Two after a 3-1 victory against Abergavenny at a sunny Recreational ground on Sunday afternoon.

The away side took the early advantage, but three unasnwered goals in the second half condemned the visitors to defeat and the loss for Abergavenny keeps them eighth in the table.

Abergavenny started the game the better side in the opening 10 mins. They controlled proceedings with the wisdom of a side in the upper echelons of the table and seven minutes in they got the goal to warrant their play. After some neat movement around the left hand side of the Ammanford box, the away side played some intricate passing to penetrate the defence before curling past James Kirkwood with a first time effort.

The home side looked off the boil in the opening period, but still managed to produce some brief moments of quality. Matthew Fisher was a central figure to the Ammanford attack and on 13 minutes he drove forward, but his effort sailed wide.

As the half wore on, Ammanford eased into the game, and looked more comfortable going forward, and Ben Soal had a fantastic opportunity to set up one of his teammates to equalise, but as he played his pass, the ball bobbled out of his reach.

In the 42nd minute, Jake Hammond threatened the away side’s defence as his run forward proved menacing. He was felled by an Abergavenny defender, and from a free kick from the edge of the area Fisher curled one destined for the top corner, but was too close to the keeper’s grasp who kept it out with ease.


After the interval, Ammanford came out with every intention of overturning the halftime deficit. Brett Enoch’s tricky run into the area was the first of many efforts in the second half for Gruff Harrison’s me, but Enoch’s shot was straight at the keeper.

Five minutes later, Ammanford had claims for a handball in the area waved away by the referee, but the momentum was swinging towards the hosts.

However, Abergavenny had the opportunity to double their advantage as on 65 minutes they cut open the Ammanford defence, but their shot one-on-one was denied by Kirkwood.

But, on 67 minutes, the tide swung in Ammanford’s favour. Ben Soal played a defence spitting ball over the top for substitute Craig Frater, who composed himself inside the area, and rifled the ball into the goal on the half volley with poise.

Abergavenny had two half-chances following the goal, but the home side’s defence stood strong to the efforts.

The boys in black and white continued their onslaught of the Abergavenny goal, and the two brothers combined, as Rhys Fisher leaped above his marker to meet the pinpoint delivery from his brother Matthew to power home a header into the top corner and to give his side the lead.

The next opportunity comes yet again from Ammanford, Abergavenny with the ball at the back but is incepted by Craig Frater, he is now one with one with the keeper but somehow the chance is slotted wide of the post, great chance missed.

Hammond missed a gilt-edged chance from yards out to extend Ammanford’s lead, but it mattered for little as with five minutes remaining Frater hit one on the half volley from 25 yards out to seal the three points, and to secure a double on his second appearance since his return.

READ  Bishops Castle denied entry to Montgomeryshire League


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.