JD Welsh Premier League Round-Up: A weekend of shocks as Dragons and Robins tame Nomads and Lakesiders


The Welsh Premier League sprung up a number of surprises on Matchday Four, with each team now suffering defeat this season.

One of the biggest shocks, came when Barry Town United beat the Connah’s Quay Nomads at Jenner Park, ending the Nomads’ run of three straight victories.

They bounced back from their Nathaniel MG Cup defeat in midweek, where they lost on penalties to Division One outfit Cambrian & Clydach Vale.

On Friday evening, the action began when Llanelli Town travelled to Aberystwyth Town.

The Reds initially took the lead through James Loveridge. In the second half, however, Aberystwyth turned on the style. Porya Ahmadi pulled one back just after the hour mark, with Geoff Kellaway putting them in front two minutes later. Joe Phillips scored Aberystwyth’s third to give the Mid Wales side victory.

In the other game of the night, the highest attended fixture of the season was confirmed. Over a thousand fans (1345) to be precise, attended Caernarfon Town vs The New Saints.

It wasn’t to be for Sean Eardley’s side though. The Cofis were powerless to resist the attacking prowess of the reigning and defending Welsh Premier League champions The New Saints.

Dean Ebbe scored on the stroke of half time before Jamie Mullan doubled Scott Ruscoe’s sides lead on the hour mark. Greg Draper, continuing his impact off the bench, scored in the last ten minutes of the game.

READ  Football League defender Alfei and Swan Jones join new boys Llanelli Town

Saturday’s action took us to Latham Park, Jenner Park, Richmond Park and to The Rock.

Connah’s Quay Nomads’ lost their 100% record to Barry Town United. Before the game, the Nomads had won every game, including a victory over The New Saints.

Manager Gavin Chesterfield though, who had become a father in midweek, masterminded a victory over the 2018 Welsh Cup winners. Kayne McLaggon scored from the spot in the sixth minute before Momodou Touray opened his account for Barry with ten minutes remaining.

At Richmond Park, Carmarthen Town continued their resurgence under Neil Smothers. The Old Gold recorded their first league win of the season when they beat Cardiff Metropolitan, who have now suffered back-to-back defeats.

Liam Thomas opened the scoring for Smothers’ side, before Male Davies scored his second goal in as many days, after scoring in midweek against Goytre in the Nathaniel MG Cup. Cardiff Met was without first-choice goalkeeper Alex Lang, due to injury with Isa Aalto making his Welsh Premier League debut.

A win for another unfenced team came at Latham Park. Bala Town, still without captain Chris Venables following his suspension, lost 2-0 to Newtown. Evan Horwood returned to the side.

Nick Rushton scored once in the first half, before scoring in the second to secure victory for Chris Hughes’ men.

Embed from Getty Images

In the late game of the day, Llandudno scored their first goal of the season, at the fourth time of asking.

It was Steven Thomas who took the achievement, with a cross-cum-shot catching Michael Jones off of his goal to equalise. The game was watched by Everton and Wales midfielder Angharad James, who played in Wales’ 3-0 defeat to England yesterday.

READ  LIVE: Cardiff Metropolitan University v Llandudno FC

Druids had originally led through Dean Rittenberg, who bundled the ball over the line from a set piece. Nathan Peate restored Druids’ lead when he scored with a header from a corner.

(Featured Image: Rhys Skinner)

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.