Treforest 1-2 Porthcawl Town Athletic: Narrow win for Porthcawl extends lead at the top

Porthcawl Town Athletic extended their lead at the top of Division One after beating Treforest under the lights on Tuesday.

Ray Walker’s side trailed at the break but were able to fight back after goals from Joe Jones and Morgan Thomas.

Both sides played to a tight cagey affair as Porthcawl came out on top, showcasing their consistency and determination. 

Porthcawl had the ball in the back of the net but the linesman adjudged the visitors forward to be offside.

Neither side had control of the match afterwards with both teams trying to find a way past

Porthcawl had another chance to take the lead but the shot was blazed high over the bar.

The attacks from both sides looked threatening however it was still 0-0 after half hour, another chance this time from Tom Warren was hit from distance but just rising too much and went over the crossbar.

The game got a bit fierce with the ref putting a stamp on the game, handing out a couple of yellow cards for some late challenges from both sides.

On the 40th minute the deadlock was broken. A good ball played out to the left found the feet of Phil Knight who slotted it in to the bottom corner to put Treforest one goal to the good.  The Porthcawl defence appealed for an offside but it wasn’t given. 

Porthcawl were fired up after the goal they had conceded with a good shot fired, forcing a brilliant save from the keeper.

At halftime it was still all to play for, Treforest went in with a slender lead at the break.

READ  Cardiff Draconians 3-2 Canton Liberal: Dracs edge out Liberal in fiercely contested Derby

Just 5 minutes after the restart, a careless challenge from the defender in the box resulted in a penalty to Porthcawl

The penalty was initially saved by Aaron in the Treforest goal, however, the rebound found it’s way to Joe Jones, who smashed it home to bring the back level.

Straight after the penalty, Treforest looked to gain back their lead however were denied by a goal-line clearance from the Porthcawl defender. 

Porthcawl then went straight to the other end with a chipped shot just going wide of the post.

The game had a good tempo to it with both teams looking good going forward.

However, the come back from Porthcawl was completed when a good through ball from Tom Warren. Found the feet of Morgan who’s first touch beat the defender and cooly put it past the keeper in to the back of the net.

More end to end stuff from both sides, with a chance falling to Porthcawl,  after the Treforest keeper came out for a high ball but mishandled allowing joe Jones managed to curly a shot in that hit the post, and rebounded to safety.  

Both sides were pushing hard for the next goal, however, the whistle soon came resulting in Porthcawl taking all 3 points.

That result means Porthcawl have a 10 point gap over FC Cwmaman and also have two games in hand as well. Treforest meanwhile finds themselves in mid-table.

(Featured Image: John McAllister)

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.