NEWFA Cup Round Up: Flint Town beat FC Nomads in shoot out drama

Flint Town United progressed to round three of the North East Wales FA Cup on Monday afternoon with penalty shoot out victory over local rivals FC Nomads of Connah’s Quay. 

After a well fought 90 minutes plus extra time, Flint went through on sudden death penalties thanks to a save from Danny McAdam.

The game pitted the Flintshire sides against each other for a chance to win the NEWFA Saturday Challenge Cup, which involves North East Wales teams from the fifth tier and upwards, with reserve sides of some Welsh Premier clubs competing.

After a preliminary round in January, the competition runs every Monday until the final, setting up a Easter bank holiday clash between the Welsh National League’s FC Nomads and Huws Gray Alliance stalwarts Flint Town, who played a mixed squad of  their first team and reserves.

FC Nomads also started a varied side, with player-manager Tom Taylor starting along with teenager Jake Leonard who impressed during a Saturday league game against Queens Park.

After a rigid opening to the game where neither side gave each other many real chances, Flint Town believed they had taken the lead when Ieuan Hewitt scored an ultra-long range effort from the halfway line, but this was disallowed as a dead ball by referee Graeme Bell.

FC Nomads then broke the deadlock when Kieron Moore managed to evade an oncoming McAdam and tap home just yards from the goal line. Moore’s opener stood despite protests from Flint, who claimed McAdam had the ball in his hand before being fouled by the FC Nomads scorer.

READ  WNL preview for the weekend ahead

Flint saw a lot of possession going into the second half, but numerous attempts on goal went either narrowly wide or were saved by an in-form Steve Hollyoak. However the visitors’ pressure eventually paid off when Adam Edgar converted a corner with around 20 minutes left to play.

With extra time approaching both teams committed to trying to find a result within normal time, making for a physical end to the game with many aerial challenges going in.

Danny Wynne of FC Nomads was brought on for extra time, and went close to scoring a winner only to be blocked eight yards from the Flint goal. Hollyoak continued to deny Flint in the FC Nomads end with some stunning saves in extra time.

After AET the scores still stood at 1-1, forcing a penalty shoot out decider which still did little to separate the two sides. Four rounds of spot-kicks were scored, bringing the tie to sudden death.

Tom Lynch sent Flint ahead, with Danny McAdam following up with a save to send his side through to the third round.

The full list of NEWFA Cup results on Monday afternoon are as follows.

  • Holywell 0-0 Hawarden Rangers (Hawarden win 4-2 on penalties)
  • Buckley Town 4-0 Llay Welfare
  • Saltney Town 1-0 Rhostyllen
  • FC Nomads 1-1 Flint Town Utd (Flint Town win 5-4 on penalties)

The third round draw is expected to take place on Sunday evening, with the ties provisionally scheduled for Monday 24 April.




One thought on “NEWFA Cup Round Up: Flint Town beat FC Nomads in shoot out drama”

  1. Pingback:
  2. Trackback:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.