Barry Town beat TNS in JD Welsh Premier Matchday 12

After 12 games played the JD Welsh Premier League stays extremely open, with no team without the chance of either the top six and a chance to compete in Europe or the dreaded bottom six and relegation. 

Barry Town 1-0 The New Saints 

Barry Town United led the way on the weekend with a stunning 1-0 win over The New Saints at Park Hall. The Champions, previously unbeaten for the whole of the 16/17 season having last lost at home in March 2016, were undone by a solitary strike from Kayne McLaggon.

The tie was a meeting between two of Wales’ most decorated clubs, with Barry having enjoyed a similar dominance to the one TNS currently have in the 1990s.

The Saints’ pushed hard throughout the 90 minutes, but Gavin Chesterfield’s organisation paid off to give Barry a landmark win over TNS. The result keeps it tight at the top, with Connah’s Quay now joint on points with the Champions.

Cardiff Met 5-0 Carmarthen Town 

Basement boys Carmarthen Town’s woes continued on Saturday as a relentless Cardiff Met side hit them for five.

Although Carmarthen started the game well, their luck turned dramatically when the duo of Eliot Evans, Kyle McCarthy and Adam Roscrow made a move which saw Dave Vincent put the ball in the back of his own net.

The goal settled Cardiff, who doubled their lead before half time via McCarthy with a well taken free kick to beat Lee Idzi. With the wind in their sails, Met went on a gradual change of gear to put the game away from the Old Gold with a third from Eliot Evans on 56 minutes.

READ  Nomads announce Neil Gibson as assistant manager

Adam Roscrow then got on the scoresheet it make it four to nothing, with Evans scoring again in the 81st minute to complete the rout.

The result keeps Cardiff in serious contention for a European place, and maybe more, as they sit third just one point behind the top two. Meanwhile, Carmarthen’s situation becomes worse as they sit bottom with 10 losses from 12.

Newtown 1-2 Bangor City

The Citizens look to have finally broken their run of poor results with a 2-1 win at Latham Park. The game started with travelling Bangor looking dangerous, with the likes of Steven Hewitt causing multiple problems for the Robins.

Bangor reaped the rewards of a good first half right before the interval, with a powerful effort from Dean Rittenburg beating the keeper on 44 minutes.

Newtown made a good impression in the second half, but the Citizens managed to soak up the pressure as the game began to look like a classic 1-0 to the crowd.

However, ex-Bangor favourite Jamie Reed had other ideas as he equalised for Newtown to force the game into a tight close.

Bangor, intent on picking up their first win in five, throwing everything at the Robins until, in the 81st minute, Rittenburg nicked possession to send a tight angled finish across the line.

The win will ease Bangor’s top six qualification drive, but Kevin Nicholson’s side will want more victories and fast as they chase the likes of Cardiff and Connah’s Quay.

Connah’s Quay Nomads 2-1 Prestatyn Town 

A feisty affair at Deeside saw Andy Morrison’s side stretch their unbeaten run to an impressive eight games.

READ  What we learnt from Bangor City's 1-0 victory over Prestatyn Town on Friday night

The fixture was one for fans of Welsh Premier League trivia, as it was the first time four brothers had all started in a WPL match up. Kai Edwards started for Nomads, whilst his brothers, Zebb, Zyaac and Noah all lined up for the Seasiders.

After a goalless first half where Prestatyn stood up to the likes of Ryan Wignall, who was proving highly effective on the wing, the Nomads eventually took the lead with Kai Edwards getting the better of his brothers with a headed goal on the hour mark.

Ex Wrexham man Michael Bakare doubled Nomads’ lead on 82 minutes, breaking on a counter to flick past his defenders and round the keeper to coolly slot the ball into an open goal from 20 yards out.

However, a tenacious Prestatyn got one back via an impressive volley strike from Alec Williams forcing a tense final few minutes of the game in which Nomads held on for the win.

Bala Town 2-1 Llandudno 

Bala Town built on their good form against a then-managerless Llandudno on Friday evening. After an even start, Nathan Burke separated the sides for Bala with a long distance effort sending the Lakesiders 1-0 up.

This lead was short lived however, as four minutes later in the 39th minute Sam Hart equalised to ensure Llandudno went in level at half time.

Bala had the better of the chances in the second half, and nearly scored if not for a Danny Hughes off-the-line clearance, but it was Michael Hayes who secured the home win in the 71st minute.

READ  Can Saints avoid Champions League exit at the hands of Europa?

The result would soon be forgotten by Llandudno fans as they would later hear the news that Iwan Williams has left Caernarfon Town to join them as Alan Morgan’s successor in the Tudno hot seat.

Aberystwyth 1-0 Cefn Druids 

Neville Powell’s Aberystwyth continued their climb up the table with a 1-0 win over high flying Cefn Druids on Friday night.

Both sides restricted each other with a goalless draw looking ever more likely until the 73rd minute when John Owen broke the deadlock for the home side.

The Black and Greens held on for the win to stay out of the relegation zone, and their victory against a Druids side who have recently beaten both Bala and Druids should be held in high regard.

Featured Image: NCM Media


Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.