MATCH REPORT: Caerphilly Athletic 2-4 Penrhyncoch – Roosters on the prowl as they progress

JD Welsh Cup 2nd Round
Caerphilly Athletic 2-4 Penrhyncoch

Penrhyncoch of the Cymru Alliance ruled the roost at a gloriously sunny Morgan Jones Park with a convincing 2-4 Welsh Cup 2nd Round victory over South Wales Alliance Premier Division new boys Caerphilly Athletic.

As preparations were underway at the nearby Castle for Caerphilly’s annual fireworks display, this cracker of a cup tie saw the Roosters put the game beyond Athletic in the first half with a dazzling aerial bombardment that led to a brace for Siôn James and a goal each for Liam Lewis and Joni Evans.

The home team had the most of the early possession, yet the visitors from Ceredigion took the lead after 10 minutes due to a penalty awarded for a rash challenge at the edge of the box. The spot-kick was smashed into the net despite the best efforts of the Caerphilly keeper, who needed treatment after getting fingertips to the fiercely struck shot.

Penrhyncoch nearly doubled their lead after 14 minutes after a cross from the right was somehow steered wide with the open goal gaping.

Athletic levelled the score after 18 minutes when a powerful header rebounded off the post and trickled agonizingly across the goalmouth before being tapped in at the far post by Andrew Kempton.

However, the visitors soon restored their advantage, scoring a powerful header from a free-kick after 23 minutes as the Roosters made the most of their aerial dominance and accurate set-piece delivery.

A few minutes later the visiting keeper did well to tip a dipping long range shot by Will Toms over the crossbar as Caerphilly tried to get back into the game.


The visitors increased their lead to 1-3 after 34 minutes with a goal bundled in from close range following a goalmouth scramble after Caerphilly couldn’t clear a corner kick.

Caerphilly then found themselves facing a mountain to climb shortly before half-time after the visitors scored their fourth goal with another free header at the far post.

Athletic showed good character to try to mount a comeback in the 2nd half, and it was certainly too soon for the Roosters to count their chickens as a fine strike by Nick Edwards made it 2-4 after 75 minutes.

Athletic did their best to narrow the margin in the dying moments, but the late goal proved to be merely a consolation as the visitors managed to see out the game to progress to the third round.

This was only Caerphilly Athletic’s 2nd home defeat of the season, and although they were knocked out by a team a number of divisions above them in the pyramid, the game will have been a good learning experience for them, and they still have a FAW trophy tie to look forward to as well as having had a good start to their first season in the South Wales Alliance Premier Division.

Penrhyncoch have been rewarded with an away trip to Welsh Premier League Champions, The New Saints.

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.