Welsh Cup quarter-finals round-up: Nomads, Aber and Newtown progress

Connah’s Quay Nomads, Aberystwyth Town and Newtown joined Bangor in the semi-finals of the JD Welsh Cup this evening, with wins over TNS, Carmarthen Town and Llandudno respectively.

The Nomads pulled off a memorable victory at the Deeside Stadium, as a Michael Bakare goal and Callum Morris’ spot-kick meant that The New Saints will have to wait for another year to get their hands on the trophy that they last won in 2016.

It was the away side who took the lead in the 2nd minute through Aaron Edwards, however the Nomads equalised five minutes later through Bakare’s free-kick from 23 yards out.

Morris’ penalty four minutes into the second half proved to be the deciding goal, and the Nomads can now look forward to a semi-final tie against Bangor City, who sit two place above them in the Welsh Premier League.

Aberystwyth got revenge for their Boxing Day defeat at Richmond Park, as they recorded an impressive 3-1 win against Carmarthen Town.

Aber struck first in the 22nd minute, when Joe Phillips rose highest to head in from an Ashley Young corner.

The away side doubled their lead in the 68th minute as Jon Owen created space for the shot and fired past Lee Idzi to put Aber into a strong position heading into the final 20 minutes of the tie.

The game was all but over two minutes later when Malcolm Melvin found the back of the net, following good work by the two previous goalscorers Phillips and Owen.

Liam Thomas pulled a goal back for the Old Gold in the 73rd minute, but that was to be the final score and Aberystwyth progress through to the last four, where they will take on Newtown.

READ  Cambrian boss Williams hoping to represent Rhondda in Welsh Premier League

Newtown recorded their second consecutive away win at Llandudno this season, as goals from Neil Mitchell and Nick Rushton saw them safely through. They will face Aberystwyth in the semi-final.

The away side had the chance to take the lead inside the opening 20 minutes, when Luke Boundford was pulled back and the referee pointed to the spot. Alex Fletcher took the penalty but saw his effort saved by Patrik Rutter.

The Robins took the lead in the 23rd minute, a ball into the box was contested for by Mitchell and ‘Tudno keeper Rutter, the Newtown forward got his foot to the ball and saw his effort go in with the help of the post.

There was a bizarre moment two minutes before the end, when Llandudno boss Iwan Williams was forced to come on as Rutter was sent off for taking out Rushton.

Williams was not able to keep a clean sheet however, as Newtown broke from a Llandudno attack and Rushton had the simple task of tapping the ball in to seal an impressive victory.

The Robins stay in contention as they look to get their hands on the Welsh Cup, three years after losing in the final to TNS.

(Featured image: Event Photo Wales)


One thought on “Welsh Cup quarter-finals round-up: Nomads, Aber and Newtown progress”

  1. Pingback: Welsh Cup quarter-finals round-up: Nomads, Aber and Newtown progress - cymru.futbol
  2. Trackback: Welsh Cup quarter-finals round-up: Nomads, Aber and Newtown progress - cymru.futbol

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.