Welsh Premier League Round Up

The Welsh Premier League gave us yet another action packed weekend, with all the goals and games summed up here. 

Aberystwyth 4-0 Rhyl 

Aberystwyth’s homecoming after a 3G pitch installation couldn’t have gone any better after they stormed to a 4-0 victory over Rhyl FC on Friday evening.

The game’s opening goal was scored by Aberystwyth’s goalkeeper Chris Mullock who scored from 60 yards from a dead ball. Geoff Kellaway then scored with Luke Borrelli netting a brace in the second half to confirm the comprehensive win.

It was a very much a bad day at the office for Rhyl, who had Alex Jones shown a straight red after frustrations boiled over into a brawl late on in the match.

Perhaps the best point of the game was the crowd of 1168 who turned out to watch Park Avenue re-open for business.

Carmarthen Town  3-1 Newtown AFC

Newtown’s terrible start to the season continued with a 3-1 loss at Richmond Park.

Liam Thomas sent Carmarthen ahead before Luke Boundford equalised for Newtown to bring the scores level at half time.

The second half had looked to be an even encounter, but goals from Dave Vincent and Liam Thomas gave Camarthen the lead.

A man of the match performance from Lee Idzi followed, with the keeper halting numerous Newtown chances to confirm the win for Carmarthen.

The New Saints 5-0 Llandudno 

The New Saints kept up their astonishing dominance with yet another win on Saturday evening against Llandudno.

Goals from Alex Darlington and Robbie Parry sent TNS in comfortably ahead at half time, although Llandudno put up a valiant effort to stay in the game.

READ  Match Report: Barry Town United 2-0 Prestatyn Town - Jordan Cotterill and Drew Fahiya deliver two killer blows on night of boxing as Prestatyn Town are relegated

Despite Tudno’s respectable game play, TNS slowly broke them down with another goal from Darlington and a brace from Ryan Brobbel finishing the competitive aspect of the fixture off.

gap Connah’s Quay Nomads 2-2 Bangor City 

Connah’s Quay and Bangor City fought out a draw in a second versus third match at the Deeside Stadium.

River Humphreys scored an unfortunate own goal after just eight minutes, but his blushes were spared by an equaliser from Rodrigo Branco who netted on 28 minutes, in what was the first ever goal scored by a Brazilian national in the Welsh Premier League.

Michael Wilde came on in the second half and sent Nomads ahead on 68 minutes, but his goal was cancelled out by a stunning curling effort from Brayden Shaw on 75 minutes in what will be a goal of the month contender.

Cardiff Met 5-0 Cefn Druids

Cardiff Met’s season has well and truly kick started after a 5-0 crushing of Cefn Druids at Cyncoed Campus.

The Archers made the most of what was a depleted Cefn Druids side, by winning by a five goal margin.

Charlie Corsby opened the scoring with a strike from inside the box as the shot dipped over the keeper from the corner. Corsby would then double his tally for the day beating the goalkeeper ten minutes later.

Jordan Lam would then open his account for the season in the league when Corsby would turn provider as a cross would fall to the feet of Lam who had space to shoot.

he two sides would go into the break with Met the happier of the two.

READ  What JD Welsh Cup Third Round ties should be considered for television coverage? 

The Druids came out straight away in the second half showing more urgency than they had in the first half. Although a shot came to no avail. Jordan Harper would become extremely unlucky towards the end of the second half as two shots would hit both posts, with the Druids consigned that it wasn’t their day.

Chris Baker would then go on to score after coming on from the bench earlier with a trademark strike from outside the box, a shot hit with real power and precision. That would not be the end of the scoring though, as Met would score again through Jordan Lam as he showed perseverance to slot home past the keeper.

Met will be extremely happy to see themselves score so many goals, which now sees them now on plus goals for goal difference.

Bala Town 3-3 Airbus 

In the most dramatic fixture of the weekend, Bala scored a last gasp equaliser to deny Airbus a victory at Maes Tegid.

Kevin Monteiro sent Airbus UK 2-0 up at half time, but Bala hit back with a penalty in the second which was successfully converted by Lee Hunt.

Matty McGinn had looked to give Airbus the clear lead when he made it 3-1, but Bala fought back with Lee Hunt securing a brace.

In the last minute of play Michael Hayes set out to be Town’s hero when he equalised at the death to secure a good point for Bala whilst Airbus continue to be frustrated in the league.

Photo Credit: NCM Media


Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.