Report: Trethomas Bluebirds 0 Bridgend Street 3

Bridgend Street continued their strong start to 2017 with a convincing 3-0 win over fellow promotion-hopefuls Trethomas Bluebirds under the Friday night lights of Bedwas RFC.

Splott-based Street controlled the game from start to finish, although both teams deserve immense credit for attempting to play their football in wet conditions on a pitch that cut up as the game went on.

Bridgend Street’s first chance came in just the fifth minute, where a back post header looked to be goal bound, only for it to be clawed away by the defence.  Street’s backroom staff – without manager Craig Dale due to work commitments – then grew concerned as chances were wasted.  Striker Nicky Davison latched onto a through ball and chipped the ‘keeper only to see his effort drift wide.  On the half hour, Trethomas Bluebirds ‘keeper Gareth Williams tipped over Paul Fowler’s free kick and made a good save from the resulting corner.

Despite being mainly on the back foot, the home side had their chances – having a header from a corner cleared off the line and causing trouble on the break – their policy of leaving both wingers forward and on each touchline while defending set pieces nearly bearing fruit late in the half as winger Leigh Ashman burst up the left, creating a 3 v 2 situation in the Street box, only to see the ball scrambled behind.

While the first half may have been a story of the profligate visitors wasting their chances, the second half saw Street pull away.  First striker Davison latched onto a pass at the back post and calmly slotted home, then a ball in from the left caused havoc at the back post and Jeffrey White was able to capitalise and prod home before, with fifteen minutes left, Paul Fowler broke straight through the middle and slammed home a third.

READ  Former Bristol City striker Bishop-Wisdom joins Swansea University

The Bluebirds main threats came from balls into the box, but visiting ‘keeper Nicholas King dealt with the challenge admirably in tricky conditions.  A late sending off for a kick out at a Street player summed up the night for the home side.

Trethomas Bluebirds manager Gareth Kedward was understandably disappointed with the result and performance of his side. He said, “Last night was far from our best performance and it’s difficult to put my finger on why – it was just one of those nights.

“We tried to change the tactics and personnel, but it just didn’t happen.  We have to defend better as a team and take our chances.  Street deserved the win on the night and we wish them well.”

Bridgend Street goalkeeper Nicholas King said the team didn’t panic at half time, “We were told to keep doing what we were doing, keep pressing high up the pitch and be patient as we were creating lots of chances.  We were dominating possession and had to keep the ball on the floor and play our football.

“As the game progressed the pitch conditions were worsening and becoming really heavy, so that made it difficult for us to play good football.  We are delighted to keep another clean sheet, which makes it four in a row now, they put a few good balls into the box that I felt we dealt with immensely.”

FT: Trethomas Bluebirds 0 Bridgend Street 3 (Davison 65, White, 71, Fowler 75)

Trethomas Bluebirds: Williams, Davies, Olsen, Duncan, Jackson, Hughes, Horewood, O’Sullivan, Gomer, Young, Ashman. Subs: Ball, Edwards, Moore, Colwell, Fraser.

READ  Paul Merson's much-anticipated Caerau debut abandoned after floodlight failure

Bridgend Street: King, R Noyes, Lewis, Hinds, Dingle, Bancroft, Croker, Fowler, White, Davison, D Noyes. Subs: Burge, Berry, Foley-O’Dare, Huntley

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.