Four WPL sides on end of Welsh Cup upset weekend

Aberystwyth Town, Cardiff Metropolitan University, Cefn Druids and Rhyl FC were the Dafabet Welsh Premier League casualties as they lost to lower league opposition in the Fourth Round of the Welsh Cup.

Upsets in favour of Llanfair United, Guilsfield, Prestatyn Town and Caernarfon Town made for a spectacular day of success for Huws Gray Alliance member clubs in the competition. 

Aberystwyth 1-5 Prestatyn Town

On a poor day for Aberystwyth Town at an early kick off of 13:30, Prestatyn took the lead via an own goal from Sam Rodon. Noah Edwards doubled the visitors lead on 42 minutes, before a hat trick from James Stead in the second half all ensured a Prestatyn victory. Luke Sherbon got one back in the 66th minute, but this was a mere consolation for Aberystwyth who conceded they were “well beaten on the day”. 

Llanfair United 4-1 Cefn Druids

Cefn Druids faced the journey to mid-Wales to take on Llanfair United, and were dumped out of the cup with a 4-1 defeat. The game got off to a terrible start for Druids when key man Rakim Newton was shown a straight red for a lunging tackle on the goalkeeper. Despite this, Druids took the lead via Steve Blenkinsop but a James Davies goal ensured the sides were level at half time. 

In the second Llanfair came into their own and pulled away from Druids thanks to another Davies goal with Alan Hughes making it 3-1. By this point it was Llanfair’s tie to lose and that possibility was cancelled out by Davies completing his hat trick on 82 minutes. 

READ  Connah’s Quay Nomads taste defeat in Irn-Bru Cup Final

Guilsfield 4-2 Cardiff Met

Cardiff Met meanwhile made the journey to Guilsfield, and went home empty handed after Guilsfield clinched a 4-2 victory. Robbie James opened the scoring for the home side but goals from Cardiff’s Roscrow and Corsby sent Met 2-1 up. 

This lead was short lived with all-first half goals from Louie Irvine, Andy Ford and a Emlyn Lewis own goal sending Guilsfield into the quarter finals. 

Caernarfon Town 3-2 Rhyl FC

The major upset of the day came at Caernarfon, as their clash with Rhyl was S4C Sgorio’s live televised fixture. Caernarfon’s crowd of 1118 and the viewers at home saw a scintillating 20 minutes of cup action, with the score 2-2 at the end of normal time. 

Danny Sullivan took the lead for Caernarfon early on in the 7th minute, with Steve Lewis equalising in the 77th. Caernarfon’s Nathan Craig converted a penalty in the 81st minute but a Stefan Halewood goal dragged the game into extra time.

The game was won just five minutes before the end of the second half of extra time when Carl Owen converted to send the Cofis into raptures, a winner made all the more dramatic due to Caernarfon going down to ten men in the 7th minute of extra time. 

Bala Town, The New Saints and gap Connah’s Quay all avoided shocks to seal their quarter final places.

Despite being taken into extra time by Penybont, Bala overcame the South Walians by four goals to one after player manager Rhys Griffiths cancelled out Kieran Smith’s goal for Bala on 88 minutes.

READ  Spittle joins Connah's Quay Nomads from Aberystwyth

The New Saints claimed the biggest win of the afternoon with a 7-0 victory over Llanelli, with in form Scott Quigley netting four. 

gap Connah’s Quay cemented a win early on after their 150 mile trek to Haverfordwest, where three goals in three minutes put them firmly in control, going on to win 5-1 at full time. 

In the all-Welsh Premier League tie, Bangor saw off Llandudno 4-0 with goals from new signing Louis Robles, Gary Taylor-Fletcher and Henry Jones netting on a good afternoon for a new look Citizens squad. 

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.