MATCH REVIEW: Barry Town United 1-1 Aberyswyth Town – Seasiders earn point at Jenner Park in Barry Town United’s Welsh Premier League return

Barry Town United and Aberystwyth Town shared the spoils at Jenner Park in controversial circumstances after captain Jordan Spittle equalised for the visitors in the second-half.

With Barry Town United back in the Welsh Premier League for the first-time in 13-years, they were keen to make an impression and took the lead midway through the first-half only to be pegged-back in controversial fashion.

Ryan Newman took the lead for the hosts following good work from Kayne McLaggon, but his effort was excellently saved by Chris Mullock in the Aberystwyth Town goal, only for Ryan Newman to be on hand to react the quickest to give Barry a deserved first-half lead.

Aberystwyth worked hard in the second-half and got their equaliser albeit in controversial circumstances following a corner as captain Jordan Spittle converted from a corner after a goalmouth scrambled ensued.

Barry Town United next travel to Prestatyn Town next weekend – Aberystwyth Town on the other hand will face-off against Llandudno at home.


In an even start to the game it was Aberyswyth who won a free-kick, however, Declan Walker blasted the free-kick attempt well over Mike Lewis’ goals.

However, Barry would get the next chance in front of a bumper crowd at Jenner Park – Kayne McLaggon worked some room for himself on his debut, but his shot was deflected into the hands of Chris Mullock in the Aberyswyth goals.

It was the visitors who get the next chance of the game from a long throw-in from the right-hand side – Barry failed to clear their lines and the ball fell kindly to Walker, who’s ferocious effort narrowly evaded Mike Lewis’ goals, falling the wrong side of the goalkeeper’s posts.

READ  Could a non-regionalised second tier league be a possibility in the Welsh pyramid system? 

But with the hosts looking to show intent in their first game back in the Welsh Premier League in 13-years, good combination play from debutant Ryan Newman and Drew Fahiya, allowed a ball into the box but it was well claimed by Mullock to deny a chance for McLaggon.

Barry were now piling the pressure on the Aberyswyth back-line and saw a penalty appeal turned down when it looked like Craig Robson had brought down Tyrell Webbe in the area, however referee Bryn Markham Jones adjudged there was nothing to it.

The hosts continued to apply the pressure and this time it was full-back Chris Hugh with a chance after being freed down the left-hand side, but goalkeeper Chris Mullock made a superb stop to put it behind for a corner.

Tyrell Webbe was the next player who had an opportunity for Barry, with an effort from just outside the box, however his shot went narrowly over the bar, but there was definitely early signs of positivity for Gavin Chesterfield’s side early on.

And the hosts pressure finally told, after a fantastic run from McLaggon, who was a constant menace for the Aber back-line in the first-half – his effort was well-stopped by Mullock, however Newman was on hand and reacted the quickest to give Barry a deserved 1-0 lead.

With the visitors looking for a swift response, a lack of concentration almost cost Barry as Luke Borelli found space for himself inside the hosts box, but Mike Lewis matched his header as he comfortably made the catch to preserve Barry’s lead.

John Owen then found space for himself down the right-hand side, but luckily for Barry he blazed his effort over Mike Lewis’ goals.

READ  RECAP: Barry Town United Vs Afan Lido - Nathaniel MG Cup

Newman was having a fantastic game in the middle of the park for the hosts and looked a constant threat for Barry, but his dangerous looking ball into the box was well-cleared and any threat was stifled.

McLaggon continued to be a pest for the Aber back-line, as he showed fantastic pace to get into a dangerous position to shoot but his shot was blocked by Ashley Young as the ball went behind for a corner.

Ryan Evans then almost gifted Aberyswyth the lead with a cheap back-pass, but Borrelli was unable to pounce as Lewis got to the ball first and it allowed Barry a chance to clear their lines.

It was the visitors who finished the half on the front-foot, but like on so many occasions last season, Lewis saved excellently from Borelli’s half-volley to give Barry the lead going into half-time.

Overall, Gavin Chesterfield would have been delighted with his side’s professionalism and application in the first-half in their first game back in the Welsh Premier League in 13-years.

Aberyswyth started the second-half as they had finished the first and were applying real pressure onto the Barry back-line and it was Declan Carroll who would find space before firing a shot on goal, but fortunately for the hosts his effort went just wide of Lewis’ post.

Barry were still a threat on the counter-attack though, and good work from Webbe earned himself a free-kick, which resulted in a booking for Aberystwyth’s captain Jonny Spittle.

Suddenly from a corner the visitors were level albeit in controversial circumstances from an Aberyswyth corner as captain Spittle converted as a goalmouth scramble ensued.

Aberyswyth were now the team with all the momentum and went desperately close to taking the lead as John Owen’s effort narrowly evaded Lewis’ post.

READ  Promotion wasn't planned says proud Llantwit Major boss Karl Lewis

With the game filtering out to a draw, both sides went in search for a winner but neither side could find a way through as the game ended in a 1-1 draw in Barry Town United’s first game back in the Welsh Premier League in 13-years.

MAN OF THE MATCH – (Chris Hugh)

A fantastic showing from the Barry full-back. Showed real tenacity throughout and was unlucky not to get himself on the score-sheet himself in the first-half, only for his shot to be blocked by Chris Mullock in the Aberystwyth Town goal.

Hugh was also a threat going forward for Barry as well as being astute defensively as he helped Barry to their first point back in the Welsh Premier League.


In a game which finished in controversy, both sides showed great attacking intent and both managers will be relatively pleased with the shared point at Jenner Park.

Gavin Chesterfield may have felt hard done by when Jordan Spittle equalised for the visitors in the second-half but the Barry manager would have been pleased with his sides application throughout.

Barry showed plenty of fight, even when conceding, they didn’t let their heads drop and they will go to Prestatyn full of confidence knowing they can get a result.

Neville Powell on the other hand saw his side put in a very valiant effort in the second-half at Jenner Park – the Seasiders had a host of chances before levelling the match and they will more than fancy their chance against Llandudno on Friday evening.

(Featured image: SameOldSmith)




One thought on “MATCH REVIEW: Barry Town United 1-1 Aberyswyth Town – Seasiders earn point at Jenner Park in Barry Town United’s Welsh Premier League return”

  1. Pingback: The key elements learnt as Barry Town United draw with Aberystwyth Town
  2. Trackback: The key elements learnt as Barry Town United draw with Aberystwyth Town

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.