MATCH REPORT: Barry Town United 0-1 Connah’s Quay Nomads – Defensiely astute Nomads claim victory in South Wales

A singular goal from George Horan was enough to move the Connah’s Quay Nomads to second place in the Welsh Premier League as they frustrated Barry Town United at Jenner Park on Sunday afternoon.

It’s now the Nomads fifth straight victory in all competitions following their Nathaniel MG Cup Quarter-Final win against Airbus on Tuesday evening.

Despite the win though, the Nomads haven’t got a played that has scored more than three goals this season, highlighting their clinical edge as they continued their run of beating sides by a slender margin.

For Barry, they’re now without a win in their last four games, after suffering defeat to rivals Cardiff Metropolitan University on Tuesday.

Both sides went at one another early on as Matty Owen delivered a free-kick into the box but Mike Lewis on his 50th appearance for Barry, claimed the ball.

Barry went down the other end and Drew Fahiya almost found talisman Kayne McLaggon. George Horan though intercepted the cross, heading away to deny him the opportunity of scoring.

After defending well, Horan turned from defensive intentions to attacking intentions as he put pressure on Mike Lewis to concede a second corner. Matty Owen swung in a well-delivered corner and there was Horan unmarked to header home the opening goal of the game.

In the fifteenth minute, the Barry Town United fans were incensed as Michael Wilde was judged to have fouled Ryan Evans, with the referee showing no hesitation to book the striker.

Barry began to grow into the game and a number of chances to level things up but the Nomads were restricting the Linnets to half chances.

READ  LIVE: Connah's Quay Nomads v Shakhtyor Soligorsk - UEFA Europa League

Jordan Cotterill almost found Kayne McLaggon but Sean Smith was there to make a crucial interception. The defender almost undone his good work though as a miscommunication between himself and Danby almost saw him header into his own net.

Matty Owen almost scored in first half stoppage time as took the ball to the edge of the box after shaking off a number of challenges from the Barry to defence, putting his shot over the crossbar after opting to go with his weaker foot.

Image: John Smith

After being frustrated with their first half showing, Barry came out in the second half and had their best opportunity to take something from the game as Chris Hugh went on a brilliant solo run, unchallenged from the Nomads defence, hitting the post with a low-struck shot. The ball did fall to Fahiya on the rebound but he blazed the ball over the bar.

Nomads were allowing Barry to come on to them but the home side continued to be frustrated by the defensively astute performance of Andy Morrison’s men which has been a beacon of success for them in his time at the club.

The challenges were flying in as Drew Fahiya was carded for a late foul on Sean Smith, before Smith himself was booked for fouling Troy Greening after the two clashed for the ball, with Greening cming off worse.

As Gavin Chesterfield tried to change the game, Curtis Watkins and Drew Fahiya made way for Paul Morgan and Tyrelle Webbe.

With ten minutes remaining, Matty Owen almost grabbed his second assist of the day with a carbon copy of the first goal, this time it was Michael Wilde who met his corner but his header hit the crossbar.

READ  Gavin Chesterfield delighted with "perfect start" to phase two of Welsh Premier League

Barry were looking to find that opening late on but the free space allowed Ryan Wignall to shoot, forcing Mike Lewis to save his shot from an angle.

Image: John Smith

Just before the fourth official signalled three minutes of additional time, Louis Gerrard had his shirt pulled but continued his run into the box, forcing John Danby into a crucial save, palming it away for a corner.

As the Nomads continued to frustrate the home side, Ryan Wignall received a booking late on after being substituted for Melford Simpson as they ran down the clock.

The last chance of the game would fall to Jordan Cotterill, who tried to curl his shot at goal which went the other side of the post.

(Featured Image: John Smith)

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.