MATCH REPORT: Barry Town United 1-0 Cardiff Metropolitan University – Barry Town United edge victory over depleted Met

Barry Town United moved into the top six of the Welsh Premier League after recording a narrow victory over their South Wales rivals, Cardiff Metropolitan University.

Luke Cooper’s early strike continues the Linnets good run of form, where they’ve not tasted defeat in their last four matches, whilst Met are still searching for their first win in four games.

Met’s form has coincided with their growing list of absentees, Adam Roscrow, Emlyn Lewis and Will Evans all missed today’s crunch tie with Barry.

The Archers tried to dictate the pace of the game early on and Jordan Lam was causing problems for the Barry defence, but his cross was collected by Mike Lewis.

Barry’s game was directness and this was highlighted when Mike Lewis’s long ball over the top fell to Kayne McLaggon, but Bradley Woolridge cleared the ball off the line.

Jenner Park, Barry, Wales 26th December 2017. This image was taken in the Welsh Premier league game between Barry Town United and Cardiff Metropolitan Univeristy

Met’s game was completely though and they continued to attack from the sides, Joel Edwards on his return for the Archers, skilfully went past a number of Barry players before being fouled by Paul Morgan. Met failed to trouble Lewis’ from the resulting free-kick though.

The goal came in the 25th minute as Kayne McLaggon tried to break into the box, the referee judged Woolridge to have fouled McLaggon, just inches away from the penalty area. Chris Hugh stepped forward, finding Luke Cooper who scored from close range.

READ  Williams joins Barry Town's management team

Cardiff Met were forced into an early change, as Charlie Corsby was replaced by attacker Harry Owen, for what it seemed an injury to his hand.

Barry almost doubled their lead when McLaggon forced Will Fuller to dive down to make a save, whilst Cotterill hit a pass across goal, that just needed a final connection.

Substitute Harry Owen had a good opportunity to level things up towards the break, as Met went on the counter-attack from a corner. Jordan Lam set up Owen, but his shot went just wide of the goal.

The referee brought first half proceedings to an end, with Barry deservedly leading after defending well, to deny Met a route back into the game.

Approaching the hour mark, Met made an attacking substitution as forward Dan Spencer replaced centre-back Aaron James. Spencer almost made an immediate impact as he met Eliot Evans’ cross, but it went just wide of the goal.

(Image: Rhys Skinner)

The Archers were forcing Barry to sit back and continued their on-onslaught at goal, Chris Baker attempted a shot at goal but was unable to find a way past a sea of Barry bodies.

After winning the free-kick for the goal, McLaggon was eager to get on the score sheet and very nearly did, as he saw his diving header which looked goal-bound, blocked by Bradley Woolridge.

The game reached the last ten minutes and Met continued their pursuit for an equaliser, Harry Owen who was influential on the wing almost found Spencer, but for an interception by Curtis Watkins.

Met’s best chance then fell to Chris Baker who was being deployed as a false-nine, in Roscrow’s absence. He forced his way into the box and forced Mike Lewis into an instinctive save.

READ  UEFA Pro Licence holder Kevin Nicholson opens up on his experiences in the Welsh Premier League

In the final real attack of the game, Baker connected to Eliot Evans’ corner with a header, but it agonizingly hit the post and bounced away for a goal kick.

Barry held on for their win and now both sides will prepare for their second meeting in the space of week, with the Linnets travelling to Cyncoed Campus, for the return of the festive period double header.

(Featured Image: Rhys Skinner)

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.