Taff’s Well 0-2 Ammanford: Floodlight problems fail to darken visitors’ evening

Goals from Liam Samuel and Matthew Jones sent Ammanford on their way to a second win of the season, as Gruff Harrison’s side followed on from last week’s win against Goytre.

It was the visitors who had the first sight on goal, Rhys Fisher played a cross-field ball to Samuel who’s shot from the edge of the area went just over the bar.

The hosts had a chance of their own a couple of minutes later. Sam O’Sullivan picked up on a loose ball, sprinted through on goal and took a shot which hit the crossbar; the rebound fell to Jason Betonelli who’s shot was blocked and cleared away.

Matthew Jones had a good chance to score in the 21st minute when he found space on the left side of the area, his shot which was aimed for the right corner went narrowly wide.

The hosts were struggling to get a foothold in the game, and a rare chance fell their way in the 31st minute. Liam Martin sprinted down the left wing and put in a cross to O’Sullivan who’s flicked effort flew just wide.

A long ball upfield by Matthew Fisher played Ricky Martin in, he took the ball around Glyn Garner in the Taffs Well goal, however his touch was too heavy and the ball rolled out of play.

Just before half time, a nice move put Nick Arnold free down the right, his cross into the box fell to Alfie Stottor, who took a touch and volleyed over the bar.

After the interval, the Wellmen went close to punishing Ammanford for not taking their opportunities. The away side failed to clear inside the area, and the ball ricocheted to  full back Aaron Thomas who went to shoot; however the ball was gathered just in time by keeper Craig Morris.

READ  Pennies bring three to Pen-Y-Pound for end of season run

The pressure finally told in the 57th minute. The visitors took a quick free-kick which was laid off to Samuel, he took a few steps to compose himself, and fired an arrowing shot into the bottom left corner to put his side ahead.

Only eight minutes later, Gruff Harrison’s side doubled their advantage. A free-kick from 20 yards out by Fisher was parried on to the post, and an onrushing Jones was on the scene to tap in and send the travelling supporters into a frenzy.

The game was then delayed for 14 minutes, with the floodlights on the far side failing. After discussions with the referee, his linesman and the managers, it was agreed that the teams would wait to see if the issue could be resolved.

Eventually the lights came back on, and the game was able to continue.

The remainder of the game was a back-and-forth battle, with the home side throwing the kitchen sink at Ammanford, who looked to strike on the counter.

Wellmen centre back Jon Newall showed some good skill to evade two challenges, and played a lofted ball over the top to O’Sullivan who dinked his shot over the keeper and saw the ball roll agonisingly wide.

The final chance of note fell to Matthew Fisher. Ammanford won the ball back and Fisher was picked out, free on the left side of the box. The ball came across the midfielder, who attempted a slice shot, however he didn’t get the required contact as the ball flew just wide of the left post.

READ  Paul Merson's much-anticipated Caerau debut abandoned after floodlight failure

The win lifts Ammanford to sixth place, while Taffs Well remain 14th.

(Featured image: Jordan Jones)

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.