Cardiff Metropolitan 4-1 The New Saints: Students claim maiden win against reigning champions

Sam Snaith scores for Cardiff Met

Sam Snaith celebrates his goal. (Abigail Davies)

Cardiff Metropolitan recorded their first ever win over The New Saints with a 4-1 success at Cyncoed Campus. Goals from Rhys Thomas, Chris Baker and a Sam Snaith brace meant that TNS lost by three goals for the first time in the league since August 2017.

It was the visitors who had the first chance of the game. A cross in by Danny Redmond fell to Ryan Brobbel, he took a shot and saw the ball flicked onto the post by Dean Ebbe

The hosts had their first sight on goal when Eliot Evans’ shot from just outside the box flew wide of the right post.

Evans was in the action again moments later. Met won the ball back in midfield and countered through Sam Snaith, he played the ball back inside to Evans who had time and space to shoot from 20 yards out; his effort was straight at Harrison.

TNS were beginning to get a foothold in the game, as Jamie Mullan broke down the left side and passed infield to Simon Spender, his shot from the edge of the area dribbled wide of the left post.

The Archers took the lead in the 25th minute. Eliot Evans was involved again as his cross in from the left was blocked, he got another chance to cross in and picked out Rhys Thomas who flicked it into the bottom right corner.

Chris Baker celebrates

Chris Baker shows his delight as he puts Met 4-0 up. (Abigail Davies)

Wing-back Rhydian Morgan went off with a knock in the 27th minute, he was replaced by Matt Swindlehurst.

READ  How Cardiff Met can rid themselves of nearly men label men with Nathaniel MG Cup win

The Archers almost had another goal two minutes later, Kyle McCarthy’s cross in was met by Redmond, who’s header was almost diverted into his own net.

Scott Ruscoe’s side went close just after the half hour mark, Redmond’s lofted ball over the top found Adrian Cieslewicz, who’s first time shot went into the side netting.

The hosts doubled their lead in the 36th minute. Thomas won the ball back in midfield, laid it off to McCarthy who’s through ball found Evans; his shot was fumbled by Harrison and Snaith followed up, collided with the keeper and got a touch which saw the ball roll into the net.

The New Saints went close to pulling a goal back in first half stoppage time. From 25 yards out, Ryan Brobbel went for a chipped shot which floated over the defence and came off the crossbar.

The visitors made a change during the interval, bringing on Greg Draper for Dean Ebbe.

Five minutes after the break, Marriot had a free-kick from just outside the area, his effort was disappointing and went straight into the wall.

A mistake in midfield saw the ball fall to the imperious Evans, the midfielder was in acres of space and played a through ball to McCarthy who galloped forward, he cut it back to Evans who laid it onto Snaith; and he fired into the bottom left corner to put the Students in dreamland.

With just under 10 minutes to play, Snaith won the ball back in the corner, flicked on to Evans who looked up and squared the ball to an onrushing Chris Baker; he made no mistake and blasted his shot into the left corner, past the despairing Harrison.

Goal celebrations

Eliot Evans congratulates goal-scorer Snaith. (Abigail Davies)

Greg Draper pulled a goal back for his side in the 87th minute. A mistake at the back gave Redmond the chance to play the Kiwi in, and he made no mistake.


This is the heaviest league defeat that that TNS have suffered since they went down 5-2 to Bangor City in the first game of the 2017/18 season.


(Featured image: Abigail Davies of Cardiff Met)

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.