Barry Town United 4-1 Penybont: Dragons blow Bont away in Extra Time after competitive ninety

(Image: Rhys Skinner)

Barry Town United needed extra time to progress to the next round of the JD Welsh Cup after beating Division One side Penybont at Jenner Park.

Macauley Southam-Hales who has been attracting Football League interest opened the scoring, but his goal was cancelled out by Luke Borrelli almost immediately.

Jonathan Hood, Louis Gerrard and Momodou Touray scored in extra time to give Gavin Chesterfield’s side the victory.

Penybont showed they could contend with higher opposition as they now focus on their league campaign, whilst Barry continue their good run of form, having lost just once at Jenner Park this season.

Curtis Hutson fired an early warning at Barry to show the Division One side could cause a possible upset, but Mike Lewis was alert to the midfielders effort.

Cullen Kinsella went closest for the visitors also, but he mistimed his effort and blazed over the bar from close range.

Barry were sloppy in possession and almost conceded as Kostya Georgievsky shot just wide, following an error. 

The home sides best effort was from skipper Luke Cooper as Southam-Hales’ cross found the centre-back and he headed just wide which would have beaten Wilson.

(Image: Rhys Skinner)

Having gone close through Luke Cooper, Barry took the lead against the run of play. Macauley Southam-Hales scored with a composed finish past Rhys Wilson to provide the game with its opening goal.

Two minutes later though Penybont drew level as Penybont’s Luke Borrelli made the most of an error from Luke Cooper as he hit a low driven effort past Mike Lewis to level up proceedings.

READ  Pontypridd Town joint-manager Dominic Broad stands down

Clayton Green dragged his effort just wide of the target following good hold up play from McLaggon.

Fahiya then went just wide following a good ball from Green as he successfully switched play. 

The last act of the half was when Robbie Patten curled an effort just wide of the target.

(Image: Rhys Skinner)

In the second half, the conditions worsened for the players with the relentless rain lashing down under the floodlights.

Barry appealed for a penalty as Southam-Hales was challenged by Georgievsky but the referee waved away the protests.

The home were nullifying the Penybont attack in what was a quiet half. Owain Warlow though headed over just wide from a Kane Owen cross.

Gavin Chesterfield rang the changes making three substitutes with Chris Hugh and Momodou Touray returning to the side.

As the game approached stoppage time, Penybont almost took the lead. Kinsella’s cross was intended for player-manager Rhys Griffiths but clipped the post on its way. 

In the last act of normal time, Mike Lewis made a superb save to deny Kieran Howard a match-winning goal after Warlow’s cross.

(Image: Rhys Skinner)

It didn’t take long for Barry to take the lead as they made the most of the tiring legs of the Penybont players. 

Mo Touray beat the offside trap and laid it across to Jonathan Hood who tapped it home from close range.

They doubled their advantage moments later, this time Mo Touray scored having been provider of the second goal. He showed good composure to power it past Wilson for a goal on his return.

Penybont chased a goal back in the second half of extra time but Kinsella’s effort was saved by Lewis as he preserved Barry’s lead.

READ  Choose YOUR Welsh League 'Teams of the Season' 

As the game began to fizzle out, Barry asserted their dominance with a fourth goal. Louis Gerrard latched on to a ball over the top and scored with a curling effort to book Barry’s place into the Round Four draw this coming Monday.

(Featured Image: Rhys Skinner)

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.