Taffs Well 0-1 Haverfordwest County: Fawcett makes Wellmen rue their missed chances

Ben Fawcett’s second-half strike was the difference as Haverfordwest County returned to winning ways against struggling Taffs Well.

Fawcett’s 59th minute strike was the only goal as the Bluebirds earned an away win for the first time since January. 

Taffs Well created a majority of the chances and had controlled the game for almost an hour but Haverfordwest were the side to come away victorious.

Wayne Jones named a squad of eight players under the age of 21, with two 16-year-olds making their debut in this evening’s victory. 

The hosts began the game on the front foot. Luke Davidson sent his shot just wide of Kyle Stuart’s goal.

The Wellmen were presented with a golden opportunity when Proctor threaded through Bertorelli but the frontman fluffed his lines and shot wide.

Up the other end, youngster Harry Rowe put in a well-delivered corner for Tim Hicks to header but Rhys Jones denied him with a save.

Well’s youthful players were orchestrating the attacks but their experience weren’t taking them. Bertorelli did well to turn at goal but his shot was inches wide.

Having had to withstand a barrage of Taffs Well attacks, Bluebirds forward Ben Fawcett almost netted immediately after the restart. His shot in the box after a burst of pace saw Rhys Jones save an effort, palming it into the side netting.

Taffs Well again though were able to create chances. Proctor had his managers head in his hands when his effort was just past the post. Moments later Bertorelli’s half-volley was just off target.

READ  Harrison looking for derby win in 200th competitive game as manager

As Taffs Well chased the goal that would get them running, Aaron Garrett made a crucial block to deflect Elliot Thomas’ shot from going in. 

Just before the hour mark, the away side took the lead. A ball over the top was sent to Fawcett and he forced the keeper to commit, allowing him to go round him and strike the Bluebirds in front. 

The game began to grow into a scrappy affair in the middle of the mark as Wayne Jones’ youthful side looked to preserve their lead. Harry Rowe almost doubled their tally on the night but Jones tipped his free-kick over the bar.

Moments before stoppage time, Richard French was found by Luke Davidson but he was unable to take his chance as he went close. 

Taffs Well were unable to get anything in stoppage time and had to accept a second consecutive defeat. 

Stevie Williams’ side are still four points adrift and have played a game more than nearest placed Port Talbot Town.

The two sides will do battle again next week as Taffs Well make the long journey to West Wales. 

Taffs Well: Jones, Thomas (Chanderos 85), Davidson, Barnett, Garrett, Davies, Matthews (C), Proctor, Bertorelli, French, Carey (Sylvester 77)

Haverfordwest County: Stuart, Merry, Rowe, Pemberton (C), Hicks, Watts, Palmer, Thomas, Fawcett (Howell 89), Wilson (Howell 92), Williams (Findley 84)

(Featured Image: The Groundhopper)

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.