WPL ROUND-UP: Matchday 6



Rhyl 3-1 Airbus UK

Rhyl continued their good form as they moved up to fourth in the table, winning four games on the bounce in league and cup.

The defeat for Airbus would see them sit in the relegation zone, two points above Cardiff Metropolitan.

Alex Jones would already test Airbus keeper Ryan Neild as he latched on to a fantastic ball from midfield. Carl Lamb would also challenge the goalkeeper from a header in which he would save with his body.

Rhyl would take the lead in fine fashion as their attack would see them start from their own half, as Toby Jones would finish a fine passage of play with a powerful shot slotted home in the right hand corner of the goal after an assist from Rob Hughes.

Alex Jones would double Rhyl’s tally as Neild would question his defenders as Ryan Edwards would pass to Johnny Spittle who would underhit a pass back to Neild, in which Jones would make the most of.

Alex Jones would add to his goals for the game as they would score in similar fashion to they did in the first half as they would pounce on a defenive error that Jones would finish off well.

Aberyswyth Town 0-3 Camarthen

Aberyswyth lost to Camarthen in a crushing defeat in front of a lowly attended crowd at Newtown’s Latham Park.


Declan Carroll would launch a ball forward in which Aberyswyth defender Will Bell would score an unfortunate own goal as he would header into his own net, leaving Dominic Richards stranded.

READ  Welsh Premier League Table 2014/15

Aberyswyth would try to break down the Camarthen defence but only showed signs of getting back into the game from set pieces as Sam Rodon missed from a corner.

Dominic Richards in the second half would save a point blank header from Declan Carroll.Kieran Lewis would double the lead just past the hour mark with a cool finish.

Liam Thomas would then make the most of the free space offered to him as the Aberyswyth defence were unable to deal with a quickly taken free-kick.

Llandudno 0-0 Newtown

Llandudno and Newtown played out a draw in which Llandudno could have opened the scoring relatively early on as Lewis Buckley tried to test the goalkeeper in which David Jones dealt with well.

Liam Dawson would try from range but the Newtown shot stopper would palm it out from safety.

In the second half Llandudno would continue to the pile the pressure on as Dawson’s shot would narrowly go past the wrong side of the post.

Newtown would create an attack of their own as Oswell would set up Kershaw with a deflection almost taking it in for the away side.

Llandudno would also suffer a scare from a corner as well as Tom Goodwin’s header connected but the Llandudno catain would header away.



Cardiff Met 1-2 gap Connah’s Quay Nomads

gap Connah’s Quay Nomads retained their undefeated record in this season so far thanks to goals from Matty Williams and Les Davies, with a late consolation for Cardiff from Adam Roscrow.

The game saw Nomads start strongly and go two up within 23 minutes, Matty Williams getting the first in the sixth minute before Les Davies sent a 25 yard effort off both posts before the ball eventually crossed the line. The second half was largely uneventful, with Nomads receiving a blow with an injury to influential defender Ian Kearney, forcing him off. Cardiff Met enjoyed more possession in the second half and deservedly got one back via Roscrow in the 86th minute. Despite last ditch efforts from Met to claim a late equaliser, Nomads saw the remainder of the game through to confirm the victory.

READ  Carno apply for promotion to Huws Gray Alliance

The New Saints 4-0 Bangor City

The scene was set, the City fans turned up in numbers, and made themselves heard all round the ground, creating an atmosphere and almost a hint of a buzz at the Park Hall Stadium.

Unfortunately for City, it came crashing back down to earth forcefully when Alex Darlington scored the first of his brace by opening the City defence within the first 4 minutes, curling a through ball from Brobbel into the bottom right corner.

TNS maintained the tempo and shortly after Darlington was in again, this time after some pacey counter attacking after City had committed players forward.

At 2-0 the City players kept attacking, looking to play Reed in – as lone striker – with Henry Jones slotting in just behind him.

City nearly got back in just before half time, when Reed found Gosset out on the right hand side, and the cross missing the outstretched leg of Sion Edwards by a matter of millimetres.

The second half saw the earlier than expected return of marquee signing Dan Nardiello, with City switching to two up the top and ultimately, chasing the game by commiting men forward.

TNS continued their steady build up play, forcing City deeper and deeper into their own half, and grabbed a reward for the patient play, when Saunders popped up to add to Bangor’s woes.

Salt was well and truly rubbed into the City wound shortly after, when Mullen pounced on some unfocused defending to put the game out of City’s reach.

Bala Town 2-0 Cefn Druids

READ  Huws Gray Alliance Round up: Matchday 14

Bala continued to find their shooting boots after an early season goal drought.

The Druids would almost go in front as Aaron Bowens deflected cross came off Stuart Jones, fortunately for Bala it would go behind the goal.

Bala would then go and open the scoring as Ryan Edwards would play a skillfull pass to Michael Hayes to slot home.

Chris Venables would continue the hatrick he picked up in midweek in the League Cup as Mike Hayes would turn into provider as he allowed Venables to score from close range.


Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.