MATCH REVIEW: Trethomas Bluebirds 2-0 Treowen Stars

Table-topping Trethomas Bluebirds opened up a four point gap at the top of Welsh League Division 3 this evening with a goal either side of half time to condemn Treowen Stars to their sixth defeat of the season.

Despite a bright start from the visitors, the Bluebirds responded, forcing three corner kicks within the first 10 minutes with only some last ditch defending preventing the home side taking the lead.

Visiting custodian Josh Archer was certainly the busier of the two goalkeepers and made a number of good early saves but even Archer was powerless to prevent the home side taking the lead mid-way through the first half. Home full-back Stuart Olsen picked up the ball wide on the right flank before cutting inside on the edge of the box and unleashing a left footed pile driver high into the roof of the visitors net.

In truth, the visitors offered little in attack and were restricted to speculative efforts from long range which home keeper Gareth Williams was always equal to.

As the second half began, Trethomas continued to dominate proceedings with Archer again called into action to palm away a number of early crosses. Treowen’s frustration was in danger of boiling over and visiting full-back Ben Hurley was lucky to stay on the pitch following a tirade of fouls and abusive language directed at the referee, receiving only a yellow card for his protestations after the award of a throw-in.

Just three minutes later Hurley must have wished the card had been a different colour when a looping free kick from Leigh Ashman eluded everyone and deflected in off the unfortunate defender at the far post to give Trethomas a 2-0 lead in the 51st minute.

READ  Choose YOUR Welsh League 'Teams of the Season' 

To their credit, Treowen refused to give in however any attempts to halve the deficit were rebuffed by the well marshalled home defence, ensuring chances remained at a premium for the Stars.

With the visitors pushing forward, gaps began appearing and the introduction of lively Bluebirds substitute Jake Horwood caused further problems for the visiting defenders, the Bluebirds engineering a number of promising positions which were ultimately wasted by the home team.

It was Treowen left-winger Kristian Sheppard who carried the biggest attacking threat for the visitors, twice forcing saves from Gareth Williams and with just seven minutes left, spurning a wonderful opportunity to haul his side back into the contest, shooting wide from close range following an inch perfect free kick delivery from the left wing.

A fractious last few minutes culminated in a yellow card for visiting number six Dean Randall and as the referee blew the final whistle the home team could reflect on a professional if unspectacular victory whilst the visitors will need to improve or risk being dragged into a relegation battle.




Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.