MATCH REVIEW: Barry Town United 0-0 Cwmbran Celtic

Attendance: 313

10 man Cwmbran Celtic dealt Barry a promotion blow by holding them to a goalless draw at Jenner Park on Saturday afternoon.

In a game with limited chances, it was Barry who started the brighter, with Drew Fahiya enjoying a lot of space down the right hand side. It was his delivery in the 8th minute which almost produced a goal, but James Dixon was unable to make any strong contact with the ball.

The visitors were then dealt a massive blow as captain Owen Cook got sent off for a dangerous high tackle in the 10th minute, but that seemed to help the visitors. They remained stubborn throughout, and limited Barry to very few chances. However, Dixon remained a threat throughout. He had two superb chances in the first half for Barry which he blew. First of all, he found himself in all kinds of space, but his one-on-one effort was well saved.

Dixon then rounded the Cwmbran Celtic goalkeeper, but he found himself back to goal, and as a result he spurred his effort wide of then Cwmbran Celtic post. Callum Sainty also found himself unmarked in the box, but his header was more than matched by Cwmbran Celtic’s Lewis Watkins.

However, other than that Barry struggled to breakdown Cwmbran Celtic’s well drilled defence, and as a result at half-time it was goaless, and the visitors would’ve been buoyed by an excellent defensive first-half showing.

Cwmbran Celtic then seemed to ditch their defensive approach in the second-half, and decided to have a really good go at Barry, and it almost worked, Josh Bull’s effort hitting the post, which could have won them the game.

READ  Ton Pentre strengthen squad as local trio arrive at Ynys Park

Barry, then had a great chance to win the game themselves, but James Dixon’s shot was well blocked. The striker then got himself sent-off in injury time to end a frustrating day at the office for Barry, who dropped points at home in the League for only the second time this season, and the second successive home game, having drawn 1-1 with penybont last time out.

Barry will now have to pick themselves up and go again. They’re more than capable of winning their next two games, against the team second bottom of the Welsh League Divison One, in the form of Caldicot Town, before heading to bottom placed Risca United. It’s vital for Barry that they win their next two games to pile the pressure on top placed side Goytre, who are now just two points above Barry after their game with Taffs Well was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Cwmbran Celtic, on the other hand now face 11th placed Undy Athletic at home, before travelling to 8th placed Penybont.

Man Of The Match: Lewis Watkins

Not a stand out performance in this one as such, but if it wasn’t for Cwmbran Celtic’s Lewis Watkins, Barry could have had the game sealed at half-time. Made two fantastic saves, the first coming from James Dixon’s one-on-one effort, before showing superb reactions to prevent Callum Sainty finding the net from a free header. 



Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.