MATCH REVIEW: Cardiff Met 2 Carmarthen 2

A late strike from Emlyn Lewis earned Cardiff Metropolitan University their first point of the Welsh Premier League’s second phase, and denied visitors Carmarthen Town a return to winning ways at Campus Cyncoed.

The visitors took the lead through Lee Surman’s towering header just before the break, after Met’s Charlie Corsby had previously landed an effort on the top of the bar.

Chris Baker’s low effort restored parity early in the second half, before a tidy finish from Liam Thomas handed the lead back to the visitors.

But when Dwaine Bailey was given his marching orders for a second yellow card late on, Met took advantage, and earned themselves a dramatic point when Lewis tucked home.

The result halts a sorry run of three straight league defeats for the Archers, although they remain without a win since the mid-season split.

In contrast, it will be seen as an opportunity missed for Carmarthen, who looked good value for a third win in four before Met’s late leveller.

The face of the game could have been different had Corsby’s cross-cum-shot on 15 minutes found a way into the net, but chances were otherwise at a premium for much of the first half.

Despite probing, Met were punished for their inability to create any clear-cut opportunities just after half an hour.

Thomas chested the ball down inside the box with his back to goal, before looping an overhead cross towards the far post that was buried into the net by the head of Surman.

Met kept going and restored parity just after the interval, with visiting goalkeeper Lee Idzi allowing Baker’s otherwise tame low effort to squirm into the bottom corner.

READ  LIVE: Cardiff Metropolitan v Llandudno - JD Welsh Premier League

The students looked to have the bit between their teeth, but were undone again midway through the second half.

A failure to deal with a simple route one ball allowed Thomas to get behind the defence and calmly slot the ball beyond a despairing Fuller.

The Old Gold looked set to see the game out, but a second yellow card for Bailey deep into stoppage time signalled a collapse, as moments later Eliot Evans crossed for Lewis to poke home an equaliser.

Man of the Match: Liam Thomas (Carmarthen) – A frustrating afternoon for his team, but having set up one and scored another, it was a good afternoon for the striker.

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.