MATCH REVIEW: Barry Town United 2-0 Haverfordwest County

Vital win for Barry as they extend their lead at the top of the Welsh League Division One.

Barry Town United extended their lead at the top of the Welsh League First Division by four points courtesy of goals from Louis Gerrard and TJ Nagi.

Barry started the brighter, and it was Drew Fahiya who was making a nuisance of himself throughout the first-half down the left-hand side. It was his powerful drive which was the first real sign of Barry’s attacking intent.

However, The Bluebirds, who haven’t lost since October had a fantastic opportunity to take the lead, but number six, Nicky Palmer fired just over after a lovely flowing move. Haverfordwest would be made to pay for their miss as Louis Gerrard fired home past James Gwilt in the Camarthen goal, despite getting a strong hand to the ball, it crept over the line to delight the Barry faithful as Barry went in a goal up, and were in a fantastic position to extend their lead at the top of the Welsh League Division One.

The second-half was a completely different ball game, though, as the visitors took the game to Barry. Greg Walters, who was booked for dissent in the first-half looked bright early on in the second-half, and his intelligent run was a warning sign that Barry couldn’t switch off, and it was The Bluebirds forward Rhys Dalling to next give Barry a fright, but Mike Lewis was alert, and saved comfortably, although it must be noted it was straight at him.

Barry, though, were determined, and a superb ball from Louis Gerrard into TJ Nagi meant Barry were 2-0 to the good. A huge goal for Barry, and it had the crowd absolutely elated. Haverfordwest weren’t going to give up easily, though. A lovely fashioned move created a chance for substitute Steffan Williams, but Mike Lewis was there to make yet another momentous save. He’s made countless saves throughout the season, and tonight was no different, and he saved once again from Nicky Palmer this time as the shot was struck straight at him.

READ  What to look forward to in the 2017/2018 Welsh Premier League season

Barry could have extended their lead any further, but unlike on Saturday, Jordan Cotterill’s free-kick faded just to the wrong side of the post. Haverfordwest rarely threatened Barry following Nagi’s goal and as a result they lost for the first time in the League since losing 4-0 at home to Afan Lido. Barry on the other hand extended their lead to four points at the top of the Welsh League Division One table, and are in pole position to win the title and return to the Welsh Premier League.

Man Of The Match: Louis Gerrard

An excellent showing from the midfielder who really stepped it up in a huge game for Barry. Scored the goal which sent Barry on their way to a vital three points, and set-up the second expertly for TJ Nagi.

Final Word:

A massive win for Barry in what was being labelled as a ‘title decider’ prior to kick-off. Chesterfield’s men were professional from the off, and extended their lead at the top of the Welsh League Division a One by four points.

It puts Barry in good stead heading into a crucial few months as they target promotion back to the Welsh Premier League for the first time since they were relegated in the 2003/2004 season.

Barry will now look to keep the momentum going as they travel to Taffs Well on Saturday, before hosting Caerau Ely in another key clash at the top of the table at the end of the month.

Referee: Harry Hendricks

Attendance: 362

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.