Match Review: Pontypridd Town 3 Llanelli Town 3

Two dramatic late goals from Jordan Follows and Lee Bevan helped Llanelli Town cling to their unbeaten status in Welsh League Division Two and battle back to a highly entertaining draw with Pontypridd Town at Ynysangharad Park – a result that leaves the Reds within touching distance of promotion.

An early strike from Joe Clarke put the visitors in front, before a superb brace from Luke Gullick and a goal from James Hill gave Ponty a 3-1 lead.

A surprise defeat for the visitors seemed the most likely outcome, before Follows poked an effort past home goalkeeper Ryan Griffiths two minutes from time.

And the Reds, who had just one day’s rest from their League Cup exertions, earned themselves a point when captain Bevan headed home in the last minute of normal time.

The result means Llanelli are now back at the top of the table on goal difference and, considering they have four games in hand over second-placed Briton Ferry, leaves them odds on to claim the Division Two title.

In contrast, the hosts will be disappointed at letting victory slip from their fingers, with the Dragons’ own promotion hopes now hanging in the balance despite an impressive run of just one defeat in their last 10 league outings.

Llanelli took the lead on 19 minutes, after a James Loveridge cross caused havoc in the Ponty box, allowing Clarke to flick home.

Lee Trundle then warmed the palms of Griffiths with a tricky freekick as the Reds looked for a second, but Ponty brought themselves level eight minutes before the break.

READ  Why bottom placed Llanelli Town must win crucial game against Cefn Druids

A teasing cross from Hill was chested down by Gullick, allowing the striker to rifle a low drive into the bottom corner.

The 30-year-old then sensationally doubled his tally five minutes later, picking the ball up out wide on the right before skinning his man and netting with an angled drive at the near post.

Llanelli were reeling, and fell further behind when Hill bundled a header over the line following a well-worked corner.

Follows curled wide just before the hour as Llanelli upped the tempo, before Trundle saw another freekick deflected over.

Some fine goalkeeping from Griffiths ensured Trundle was denied twice more in the last 10 minutes, but Llanelli were not to be denied and hauled themselves back into the game when Follows prodded home.

A sensational comeback was completed two minutes later as skipper Bevan beat Griffiths to a high ball to head into an empty net.

Man of the Match: Luke Gullick (Pontypridd) – With all eyes predictably on Lee Trundle, Gullick produced two moments of genuine class and was a thorn in the side of Llanelli’s defence all evening.

One thought on “Match Review: Pontypridd Town 3 Llanelli Town 3”

  1. Pingback:
  2. Trackback:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.