MATCH REPORT: Street and Chepstow share the spoils

Bridgend Street and Chepstow Town split the points in a cut-and-thrust Welsh League Three encounter that saw chances for both sides throughout.

Many of those turning up at The Willows might have wondered if they’d be served up a game with an end-of-season feel, but to their credit both sides fought hard for the 90 minutes and served up a watchable encounter on a hard, bobbly, pitch that posed more problems for strikers than defenders.

Perhaps it was a night where an early goal helped.  Jeff White latched onto a through ball for Street and played the ball right to Jack Huntley.

It looked like the chance had gone when the pass forced the young striker wide of the box, but he calmly took control, looked up and picked out Nicky Davison deep in the box who calmly slotted home with his left foot.

It wasn’t long before it was all level, although not before Huntley had been the first to be caught out by the dreaded bobble, breaking into the box from the left but an unhelpful bounce seeing him fire high and wide.

Street were the masters of their own downfall, conceding a soft free kick on the edge of the 18 yard box on the Chepstow right wing.

The free kick was driven in left-footed and low to the near post, goalkeeper King parried but only into the path of a Chepstow player who gleefully accepted the opportunity to slot home for one all.

The remainder of the half was hard fought but filled with only half chances, the best falling to Street’s Paul Fowler on the half-time whistle, found by Nicky Davison in the box he couldn’t find the target.

READ  STM Sports 2-1 Penydarren BGC: Conteh fires STM into first ever FAW Trophy Semi

The second half saw Street press, while the visitors regularly threatened on the break.  There was a flurry of chances shortly after the hour mark.

First visitors Chepstow played a neat one-two in the Street half, but another timely bobble saw a first time effort flash wide, then Town missed a free header from six yards when it looked easier to score.

Almost immediately Jeff White and Nicky Davison both had chances when through on the Chepstow goal, but dragged their shots wide.

It was Street creating the chances, but they couldn’t find the back of the net, with headers and shots finding either the ‘keeper or heading wide.

Even a last minute chance for the home side was fired high and wide, and the spoils were shared.

Other results from Welsh League Three, Wednesday  12 April

Panteg 3-1 Caerleon
Treharris Athletic Western 0-1 Llantwit Major
Treowen Stars 2-1 Ynysygerwen

One thought on “MATCH REPORT: Street and Chepstow share the spoils”

  1. Pingback:
  2. Trackback:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.