Match Review: Cardiff Met 0 Connah’s Quay 0

Connah’s Quay sealed second place in the Welsh Premier League courtesy of a drab stalemate with Cardiff Metropolitan University at Campus Cyncoed.

Nomads’ Matty Owen rattled the bar just before the break but there was otherwise precious little to set the pulses racing during a turgid affair, with Met noticeably lacking the attacking potency shown in their 4-0 win at Carmarthen Town last week.

Nevertheless, the result cements Connah’s Quay’s place behind runaway champions The New Saints, who are the only side to have beaten the Nomads in seven league games.

In contrast, the Archers will have to settle for a sixth-placed finish, which means they face the prospect of an away trip to Carmarthen in the upcoming Europa League play-offs.

Opportunities were at a premium from the beginning, with half-chances for Met’s Will Evans and Nomads’ Les Davies the closest either side could come to a breakthrough during a tightly-contested opening 10 minutes.

Elliot Evans should have changed that after finding himself on the end of Charlie Corsby’s drilled cross, but saw his initial effort blocked on the line, before firing his rebound straight at goalkeeper John Danby.

John Disney then limped off for the visitors, who struggled to find their usual level of fluency, although Met keeper Will Fuller had to be alert to keep out Owen’s glancing header.

The Nomads were forced into another change when Ryan Wignall pulled up just before the break, but Met remained on the back foot.

And the hosts breathed a sigh of relief when Owen’s unstoppable half-volley from 25 yards came crashing off the crossbar just before the break.

READ  RECAP: Barry Town United v Connah's Quay Nomads

Both sides continued to cancel each other out after the interval, although Thomas whistled an angled shot wide after scampering to the byline on the right.

Elliot Evans warmed the palms of Danby with a tame shot, before his replacement Jordan Lam directed an effort wide, while Owen forced a comfortable save from Fuller at the other end.

Adam Roscrow nearly won it at the death after he charged down Danby’s clearance, but could not prevent the ball ricocheting wide.

Man of the Match: Matty Owens (gap Connah’s Quay): Carved out the game’s best opportunity and had several other sights of goal during what was a game of few real chances.

One thought on “Match Review: Cardiff Met 0 Connah’s Quay 0”

  1. Pingback:
  2. Trackback:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.