MATCH REVIEW: Afan Lido 1-6 Goytre United

An impressive start to the new season for Goytre United saw them defeat Afan Lido 6-1 at the Marstons Stadium on Friday evening.

It was the home side who opened the scoring after just 2 minutes, Mark Jones splitting the visiting defence allowing Josh Webber to slide the ball past the onrushing goalkeeper.

Visiting custodian Luke Martin was the busier of the 2 goalkeepers in the early stages and was twice called upon to prevent the hosts doubling their lead, first from a looping Carlos Indjai header and a minute later from a close range Mark Jones effort.

It wasn’t until the 10th minute that Goytre forced their first corner but gradually the visitors got a foothold in the game and were rewarded in the 22nd minute when referee Bryn Markham-Jones pointed to the spot following a trip on Curtis Hutson.

Dale Griffiths calmly dispatched the ball into the bottom corner to restore parity and 10 minutes later it was Hutson who was fouled again to give the visitors a second penalty. Once again Griffiths stepped up and in a carbon copy of the previous penalty, drove the ball low into the corner of the net to give Goytre the lead.

The award of two penalties stung the home side into action although despite a period of concerted pressure at the end of the first half, it was Goytre who almost increased their lead on the stroke of half time, Chris Curtis saving bravely from Damon Thomas.

The second period started in a somewhat scrappy fashion with chances at a premium, however it was a moment of quality that put the visitors in the driving seat. A cross from full-back Joe Jones found the head of new signing Tom Walters who beat his marker to head the ball into the top corner from 12 yards.

READ  Hurley joins the Steelmen

Again Lido responded positively and but for some resolute defending would have halved the arrears, twice shots were blocked from close range in a matter of minutes and midway through the second half Mark Jones saw his long range drive come back off the bar.

As the game became more open, Goytre were finding space and Chris Curtis was again called into action, saving a long range Joe Jones drive before tipping over a fierce Curtis Hutson strike.

With 7 minutes remaining Goytre sealed victory when Curtis allowed a long range Jamal Roberts free-kick to slip though his grasp into the corner of the net.

Goytre were far from finished however and rubbed salt in the hosts wounds when first Corey Francis looped a long range free kick over the home custodian to make it 5-1 and then on the stroke of full-time substitute Jander Zola lashed home a left foot strike from the edge of the box to complete the rout.

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.