WPL MATCHDAY NINE: REVIEW – Seasiders hit for six as Aber claim first victory 

It was raining goals in the JD Welsh Premier League last weekend as no fewer than twenty eight goals were scored in Wales’ top flight. 

As the league reached the first quarter of the season, with the table starting to take shape, it’s New Saints who are now back on the throne that they have ruled for the last six years.

But hot on their tails are the surprise-package of the season in Cardiff Met, who have lost just twice to this season, with one of those defeats coming to the side just below them in Connah’s Quay Nomads.

Aberystwyth finally have something to shout about with their first victory of the season as they recorded an away victory over Llandudno.

Newtown 1-3 Bala Town 

Bala Town finally recovered from a woeful run of form to inflict a 3-1 defeat upon Newtown at Latham Park in a live Facebook game on Thursday evening.

Bala, who were out for revenge after being knocked out of the MG Nathaniel Cup by Newtown last month, went ahead early on via Jordan Evans who scored with a neat finish after finding a through ball in the Robin’s area.

Newtown hit back before the interval with a powerful strike from Joe Kenton bringing the scores level.

But it was Bala who started brightest in the second half with Michael Hayes recapturing the lead for Bala, before a low free kick was enough for Evans to seal a brace and indeed the Lakesider’s first win in five.

Bangor City 2-3 Cardiff Metropolitan University 

READ  Fan favourite Jones flies back to the Robins

Bangor City were yet again undone by bogey side Cardiff Met who made a real statement at Nantporth on Saturday afternoon.

The Citizens scored through Damian Allen just before the referee blew up for half time as he was found with a pass from Danny Holmes. The home side doubled their lead through summer-signing Brayden Shaw with 22 minutes to go but just two minutes later Met had pulled one back through Eliot Evans.

Bangor had already conceded to Evans earlier in the season in Met’s 3-1 victory over the Citizens at Cyncoed Campus, and he was there again to score Met’s equaliser as the Archers showed their fighting ability.

With five minutes remaining they were in dream land as substitute Harry Owen scored to give the Met the lead, ensuring the comeback was complete as they held on to do the double over the North Walian side.

Barry Town United 1-3 Cefn Druids

Huw Griffith’s men continued their good run of form, losing just once in the last eight games, which came against The New Saints at Park Hall.

The Druids trailed at half time and showed their bouncebackability as Lewis Buckley equalised after the break following Kayne McLaggon’s first-half opener. Ashley Ruane put the Druids in front before Buckley scored in stoppage time to secure all three points.

Carmarthen 1-2 Connah’s Quay

Fresh from their plans to become a community club, the Nomads ensured that they wouldn’t be distracted and kept it business as usual as the Deeside outfit saw off bottom side Carmarthen Town. After a series of close chances for the away side, Ryan Wignall opened the scoring for the Nomads in the first half as they went into the break with the lead.

READ  Wingmakers make triple swoop as Premier League experience is added 

But a dominant display from Connah’s Quay was almost undone, as Mark Aizlewood’s men would equalise with fifteen minutes to go through club-record goal scorer Liam Thomas, who slotted in a penalty.

But the man of the moment was substitute Melford Simpson who made an impact almost immediately, scoring with just three minutes to go as the Nomads recorded a key away victory to keep the pressure on rivals and table toppers The New Saints.

Llandudno 2-3 Aberystwyth Town

After a goalless first half, Llandudno and Aberystwyth Town served up a frantic second half as Aber took a shock lead through Declan Walker through a back-post header.

Llandudno, who had lost narrowly in the South Wales capital last weekend, were eager to get back to winning ways and equalised through summer-recruit Toby Jones, before Danny Taylor scored not long after to turn the game on its head.

With Llandudno retaining the lead for twenty-minutes, they were hit with a late equaliser as Ryan Wade’s cross bounced off of Shaw to level things up.

Maesdu Park has proven a hard place to pick up points this season but in stoppage time, former Airbus UK defender Jonny Spittle bundled the ball over the line to give Neville Powell his first league win as Aberystwyth Town boss.

The New Saints 6-1 Prestatyn Town

The League Champions were back in league action following their win over Elgin City in the Irn-Bru Cup last week and returned with a bang.

Scott Ruscoe’s men thumped Prestatyn Town 6-1 as in-form striker Chris Seargeant bagged a brace for the Osowestry based side. Other goals came from Routledge, Draper and Mullan as the New Saints returned to the top of the league, a point above Cardiff Met.

READ  Bailey departs Newtown for Hednesford

Will The New Saints stay there for the remainder of the JD Welsh Premier season? Only time will tell.

(Featured Image: Event Photo Wales) 

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.