MATCH REPORT: Cardiff Metropolitan University 1-2 Bala Town – Late Venables strike breaks Students hearts

Chris Venables’ late strike sunk Cardiff Metropolitan University to their first home defeat of the season on Saturday afternoon.

In what was an even and physical affair between the two sides, it was Colin Caton’s men who showed their clinical edge as Venables’ 93rd-minute goal shortened the gap between the two sides to four.

Bala’s Les Davies had the games first chance as he fired a powerful left-footed shot at goal but Will Fuller had it covered.

Cardiff Met’s Eliot Evans created the Archers own chance as he was played in down the line and tried to tee up Dan Spencer who was playing in the absence of top goal scorer Adam Roscrow but Ashley Morris was there to palm it away.

Met had a penalty shout as Owens hit an under-hit pass to Morris, with Jordan Lam fast on his heels to try and get on to the end of the ball.

Hayes was showing his eagerness to get involved in the game and he almost scored the games opening goal as Jordan Evans crossed the ball into the box, he strayed his header wide of the goal.

Bala was the side edging it in the first half as they retained the ball well, as they were just lacking in the final third whilst Met continued to defend.

Image: Matthew Lofthouse

Nine minutes into the second half and the game finally burst into life as Venables played a delicate pass through to Mike Hayes and he took the ball round Fuller to slot into an empty net.

READ  "We need to become more resolute defensively" - Met captain Woolridge

Moments later, Met was level as Kyle McCarthy showed determination to carry the ball into the box, teeing up Eliot Evans who scored from close range.

Almost immediately after Evans’ goal, Ashley Morris was in action to deny Chris Baker from point-blank range after a defensive lapse in concentration.

Baker was playing as a centre-forward after Harry Owen replaced Dan Spencer as Met tried a new approach to the game.

And he had the ball in the back of the net but the linesman flagged for offside after Eliot Evans played a superb ball to Owen, he set up Baker for an easy finish but it was a clear offside.

In what was a frantic few minutes, Bala almost had another goal as Les Davies had a strike on goal tipped around the post by Will Fuller.

Image: Matthew Lofthouse

As defence turned to attack after Emlyn Lewis well-timed challenge on Mike Hayes, he played the ball to Dylan Rees who then found Jordan Lam unmarked but his curling shot went just wide of the goal.

Bala’s other frontman Mike Hayes almost scored with a diving header but it went the other side of the goal. The best chance for the Lakesiders then fell to Ian Sheridan who robbed Woolridge of the ball and had only the goalkeeper to beat but he spurned his chance and fired over.

After five additional minutes were indicated, the games deciding moment game with two minutes remaining. Chris Venables hit a sweetly-struck strike at goal and Will Fuller was unable to keep it out, sparking joys of celebrations from the Lakesiders.

READ  Rhyl FC announce new main sponsor

Cardiff Metropolitan University

Fuller, Rees, McCarthy, Woolridge (C), Lewis, Bowler, Evans, Baker, Spencer, Corsby, Lam. Substitutes: Owen, Thomas, James, Barnett, Morgan, Evans.

Goals: Eliot Evans 57′

Yellow Cards:

Emlyn Lewis

Bala Town

Morris, Jones, J Jones, Owens, Venables (C), Burke, Evans, Hayes, Sheridan, Rule, Davies.

Substitutes: Vernon, Valentine, Bell, Thompson, Tanner.

Goals: Mike Hayes 54, Chris Venables 93′

Yellow Cards:

Les Davies

(Featured Image: Matthew Lofthouse)

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.