MATCH REPORT: Cardiff Metropolitan University 3-0 Barry Town United – Archers battle through adversity to claim Derby Day win

Cardiff Metropolitan University bounced back from their Boxing Day defeat to Barry Town United by inflicting a 3-0 defeat on to their South Wales rivals. 

The win confirmed the Archer’s place in the top six for a second consecutive season whilst Barry remain above the Cefn Druids on goal difference.

In what was the final Welsh Premier League game of the year, it was Cardiff Metropolitan University who ended the year on a high with a composed display.

The pace of the game was shown early on as both sides tried to orchestrate an immediate attack. It was Jordan Lam who had the first attempt on goal though, as his tame shot was saved by Mike Lewis.

Lam found himself in a familiar position after Dan Spencer dispossessed the Barry full-back, before passing to Ben Bowler who found Lam in space and his effort curled into the corner of the net.

Aaron James who was making his second appearance of the season put in a well-timed interception to stop McLaggon from shooting after good play from Hugh.

Eliot Evans doubles Met lead. (Image: Will Cheshire)

Met had their second of the game not long after the Barry corner, Kyle McCarthy’s searching cross fell to the feet of Eliot Evans and he hit a shot through a body of players as it bristled into the net, taking a deflection off of Luke Cooper.

Clear-cut chances were coming far and few for Barry after Cotterill went close with a near effort. Barry’s best route back into the game came to Drew Fahiya as he beat the offside trap and had just Fuller to beat, but the Met shot-stopper put him off and it could only go behind for a corner.

READ  Barry Town United 0-2 The New Saints: Champions beat ten-man Barry to inflict first home defeat

McLaggon’s shot from just outside the box would be the last action of the half, with Met holding a two-goal lead. The Archers looked composed with their performance, with Barry left with all the work to do.

Barry’s preparations for any kind of comeback were dealt with a blow, as Gavin Chesterfield was forced to substitute keeper Mike Lewis for Joe Massaro, with Lewis picking up a leg injury.

Both Massaro and Met keeper Fuller had to show their physical side to the game, with Fuller rushing to the floor to swipe the ball from Cotterill’s feet, whilst Joe Massaro collided with Archers forward Dan Spencer, who picked up a facial injury from the duel.

The Linnets had a fifteen-minute spell where they began to grow into the game, Macauley Southam was feeding off the good intentions of skipper Cotterill as his shot went wide. Former Met midfielder Elliot Scotcher set up Kayne McLaggon for a chance at goal but the Barry top goal scorer missed from close range with a diving header.

(Image: Rhys Skinner)

With ten minutes remaining, the game was beyond any reasonable doubt as Jordan Lam deservedly grabbed his second of the goal. A well-worked counter-attacking move was finished off by the influential Lam, who scored with a low effort, after being set up by substitute Harry Owen.

Met wasn’t letting up after the third goal Tim Parker very nearly made it four, but for a goal-line clearance from Luke Cooper.

After Ben Bowler received the games first and only booking, Eliot Evans had the last chance of the game and a chance for a second but it sailed just wide of the post and the referee brought to an end to Welsh Premier League football in 2017.

READ  Idzi reflects on WPL career after making landmark 350th appearance

(Featured Image: Will Cheshire)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.