Clwb Cymric 2-4 Penydarren – Penydarren BGC progress to W. John Owen Cup Final after two-goal comeback

Penydarren BGC became the first side to book their place in the W J Owen Cup final after beating Division One side Clwb Cymric, despite trailing by two goals at one stage. 

The two sides met at Penybont’s KYMCO Stadium and paid their respects Cardiff Hibernian manager Stephen Price who passed away last weekend.

Clwb Cymric had a few early chances through striker Huw Jones, however, it was Penydarren who started to create really clear chances within the first 15 minutes. The first chance fell to striker Nathan Williams who stroked a strong shot past goalkeeper James Kennedy but past the post too. A second opportunity fell to the feet of Connor Keating who dragged his shot wide from a great run and cross from winger Ben Jones.

Soon after though it was a shock opener from Division One’s Clwb Cymric, striker Huw Jones with the goal from a mistake from goalkeeper Jonathan Green, where the ball rolled past him of the post from 20 yards out. Cymric doubled their lead not long after, winger Osian Pritchard who beat Penydarren fullback Kyle Sullivan who cut a delicious ball back to Huw Jones as he finished calmly into the back of the home sides net.

Penydarren had the opportunity to pull one back just before half-time through Alex Lloyd who arrived at the back post but the ball on trickled into goalkeeper Kennedy’s hands. Kerry Mullin’s men did pull a goal back just before the break through striker Nathan Williams who rolled the ball home from inside the box, but it led to some confrontation from the Cymric players if the ball had crossed the line but referee Terry Alday gave the hosts the goal.

READ  Lido show fighting spirit to draw Sandfields derby in eight-goal thriller

Cymric went in at the break with a slender one-goal lead, as they tamed Penydarren who have had two exceptional cup runs this season.

As the game restarted after halftime from the kick off it was midfielder Joshua Brogden who tried his luck from the halfway line to astonishingly dipped goalkeeper Kenedy, who was caught of his line and things were levelled up in a bizarre fashion.  After the goal Cymric’s midfielder, Kyle Goodfellas was shown a straight red card for comments to the referee.

Penydarren were dominating possession and eventually took the lead after the sending off. Brogden again shouldered the ball from five yards out to put Penydarren into the lead after the ball was delivered in from Ben Jones who showed courage to get past full-back Alex Davies.

Cymric had the opportunity to pull back an equaliser from a mix up in the Penydarren midfield but it was Jones  who could not find the target, failing to capitalise on the chance  Penydarren grabbed their fourth of their game soon after from a through ball from Ben Jones where Joshua Brogden took the first touch round keeper Kenedy who calmly composed his finish into the back of the Cymric net.

Penydarren had two final opportunities to extend their lead through a Nathan Williams free kick where goalkepper Kenedy pulled off a great save down to his left. Soon after then Connor Kinsey then hit a sweet shot but it was goalkeeper Kenedy who pulled off another laudable save.

They will await winners out of Blaenrhondda AFC and Caerphilly Athletic when they battle it out next Monday at Ynysangharad Park.

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.