Bangor City reconsider JD Welsh Premier League demotion appeal
Bangor City have today announced that they will not be appealing the decision to demote them to the Huws Gray Alliance for the 2018/19 season. The club were not awarded a Tier One Licence for next season on the grounds of Annual Financial Statements and Future Financial Information.
The North Wales side announced on April 26 that their licence to compete in the JD Welsh Premier League and the Europa League had been revoked for “failure to meet the financial criteria requirements”.
Two days later, the Citizens confirmed that they were seeking legal advice in an effort to overturn the decision.
However, an update posted on bangorcityfc.co.uk this afternoon stated: “With the financial pressure involved to pursue this legal matter it would leave the club in a perilous position and could have significant implications on the immediate return to the Welsh Premier League.”
The Nantporth side finished second in this season’s JD Welsh Premier League, 14 points behind champions The New Saints, and three points clear of third-placed Connah’s Quay Nomads.
The club announced on May 13 that manager Kevin Nicholson would be stepping down from his role, along with assistant manager Gary Taylor-Fletcher.
Bangor City went on to say: “We have yet to be told by the Welsh FA (FAW) if we will or will not compete in the Irn Bru Cup (Scottish Challenge Cup). We are told we will be given an answer on this in early June.”
The club were due to hold a press conference tomorrow, however this has been postponed and will now be held next Wednesday, May 23 at 14:00 at the VSM Stadium.
(Featured image: Event Photo Wales)