Bridgend Street 7-0 Ely Rangers: Street put Rangers to the sword with stunning victory

Bridgend Street furthered their promotion push by hammering relegation-threatened Ely Rangers at a sunny Willows High School on Saturday afternoon.

Craig Dale’s men are playing catch up on a number of games and met Cardiff rivals Ely Rangers on Saturday, with Pontyclun their next test on Tuesday.

The home side had a firm control of the game and was rarely tested, in what was a convincing display from the promotion hopefuls.

Bridgend Street scored with their first real chance of the game in the 9th minute. Paul Carro found Owen Bancroft in space and the defender hit a left-footed shot into the right-hand side of the goal, to give them an early lead.

They very nearly doubled their lead moments later after Dan Griffiths was caught dwelling on the ball, with Ian Davies saving his blushes as he denied Jeff White. Rangers were presented with their first chance as Tino Massenta played in Ethan Caveny but he couldn’t pull his shot off cleanly and Lack collected the ball with ease.

Street did have their second, when Jeff White had his shirt tugged, with the referee awarding the home side a free-kick a considerable distance from outside the box. However experienced midfielder Paul Fowler stepped up and powered the ball over the wall to further his sides lead. Bridgend’s experience was showing as they continued to hold on to the ball well, with Fowler linking up well with Brooks, finding him on a number of occasions.

It was three with ten minutes to go until the half-time whistle. David Brooks received the ball on the flank from Fowler and was brought down by Nick Lai for a penalty. Captain Fowler stepped up and calmly slotted his penalty into the corner, sending Davies the wrong way.

READ  Welsh Football League MD22 Preview

Brooks was performing well on the flank and he set up Bridgend Street’s fourth when he worked the ball into the box and squared the ball to Davison for a close-range finish.

Rangers had a rare chance when they were presented with the opportunity from a free-kick on the edge of the area. Massenta drilled the ball into the box but Lai couldn’t get ahead onto it.

Just four minutes after the restart, Street picked up where they left off after their impressive first-half performance. Fowler earned a free-kick which Brooks delivered and Jeff White was there to header it home.

White was eager to add to his tally and he went close with two chances. Firstly after turning from the defender, he shot at goal but it was a tame effort which Davies saved with ease. He was then presented with a chance when the ball was crossed into his feet but he put his shot over the bar from close range.

Fowler added to the scoring though and grabbed his second of the day when the ball was laid off to him from just outside the box and he hammered home a shot hit with real velocity and power to make it six. He was then replaced by Nathan Gulley, receiving a round of applause for his performance from his deep-lying midfield position.

Brooks who was playing a part in setting up the goals was eager to get on the score sheet when he tried catching the Rangers keeper with an audacious chip, but he tipped the ball over the bar for a corner.

READ  Pontypridd opportunity hard to turn down says ambitious Beddard

Moments after the save, Ely were presented with their best chance as Lewis James strayed his effort just wide of the goal. The influential Davison set up Street’s final goal of the day as he found substitute Nathan Jones who replaced Anthony Burnett, to score from inside the box with his first touch.

The Cardiff side now travel to Pontyclun on Tuesday evening, before returning to Willows High School to play already promoted and divisional champions Swansea University.

(Featured Image: Jordan Jones)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.