Cardiff Metropolitan 0-1 Llandudno: Jones stunner secures second straight win for Seasiders

(Image: Matthew Lofthouse)

Llandudno made it two wins out of two as they recorded their first away win since January at Cardiff Metropolitan.

Iwan Williams’ side had only recorded their first win of the season last week, but have moved up to 8th after a dogged win at Cyncoed Campus.

In a fairly even game, Llandudno took their key chance and scored with a stunning effort.

In the early stages, Toby Jones forced Aalto into the save, after Leo Smith had been fouled outside the area.

John Owen then went close for the away side, flicking an effort over the bar, after a superb ball from Kai Edwards.

Met had an opportunity through Eliot Evans. The Archer’s attacker saw his effort go just past the post.

Llandudno lost their captain due to injury, with Danny Hughes being replaced by Ieuan Hewitt.

Esa Aalto was forced into action when Williams saved from his header, Owen tried a shot on the rebound but was adjudged to have been offside.

The home side had their own chance towards the end of the first half. Dylan Rees crossed it to Joel Edwards, who headed just wide of the goal.

Met’s best chance fell to Sam Snaith, as he dragged the ball around the goalkeeper, but hit his shot into the side netting.

The two sides went in at the break goalless, with each side having a number of opportunities.

Met had an early opportunity as play resumed. Harry Owen dragged his shot just wide of the post.

Llandudno’s defensive was proving hard to break down, with Pearson guarding his goal well. Eliot Evans had a goal-bound effort blocked by Kai Edwards, before Shaun Pearson tipped over Joel Edward’s volley, after shooting on the rebound.

READ  How does TNS' title success compare to previous seasons?

Will Evans crossed the ball into Lewis after a short corner was taken, but the Met centre-back’s header was comfortably saved by the Seasiders keeper.

After all the Met dominance, Llandudno took the lead. Toby Jones rifled a shot into the net, with Aalto rooted to the spot.

Sam Snaith was bearing down on goal but Mike Pearson made a superb block, to deny the Met striker a shot on goal. Emlyn Lewis later sent in a searching cross, but Pearson collected it comfortably.

Met continued their onslaught at the Llandudno goal, but Williams’ men set up to frustrate in the last quarter of the game. To run down the clock, George Harry replaced goal scorer Toby Jones.

Cardiff Metropolitan 

Aalto, Rees, Edwards, McCarthy (c), Lewis, Bowler, Evans, Baker, Snaith, Evans, Owen (Neale 75)


Pearson, Z. Edwards, K. Edwards, Pearson, Thomas, Hughes (Hewitt 20), Williams (Connolly 45), Smith, Webb, Owen, Jones (Harry 90).

(Featured Image: Matthew Lofthouse)

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.