Quick fire Nomads return to winning form against Robins

Connah’s Quay Nomads ran out 3-1 winners over Newtown AFC on Friday evening, ending a run of two straight defeats in the JD Welsh Premier League. 

The game was Nomads’ third in six days, after travelling to Scotland to beat Falkirk 1-0 in the Irn Bru Cup second round and losing out to Caernarfon by the same scoreline in a midweek shock.

Newtown were looking for better luck on the road, after going down 3-0 to Camarthen Town in South Wales last week.

After a demanding week Andy Morrison rotated his squad, with Laurence Wilson, James Owen and ex-Wrexham striker Michael Bakare starting.

Newtown started Nick Rushton, who represented Connah’s Quay in their 2016/17 Europa League campaign. He joined Steve Leslie to form the Robins’ attacking line up.

The opening goal came just 49 seconds from kick off, when Jay Owen struck a volley into the bottom left corner of the Newtown net from 15 yards.

The strike, which came after a John Danby free kick was initially cleared from the goalmouth, is the fastest goal scored from kick off so far in the JD Welsh Premier, and may be hard to beat at under a minute.

Despite Nomads’ opener, Newtown produced a good passing display which saw them create good chances as Callum Roberts enjoyed a large amount of space on the left wing which he utilised to try and set up Steve Leslie upfront.

Leslie went closest for the Robins, sending a half volley over with 30 minutes played, with Michael Bakare shooting over from 12 yards in the last action before the interval.

READ  Llandudno sign former Football League player Taylor-Fletcher

The second half didn’t start with the same ferocity as the first, as Andy Morrison and Chris Hughes’ organisation led to a stalemate.

Newtown’s Joe Kenton made a good run into the Nomads’ area on 58 minutes, but a well timed challenge from John Disney denied him sight on goal.

The Robins’ pressure was building as they forced a series of set pieces in the Nomads half, but Ryan Wignall stepped up in the 70th minute to give the hosts a much needed two goal cushion.

From a Declan Poole pass, he made a pacy run into the area before slotting under goalkeeper Dave Jones.

It was looking like a comprehensive win for Connah’s Quay, as substitute Andy Owens sent a header towards goal which bounced twice on the crossbar, falling straight into the path of Callum Morris who headed it in on the goal line.

But Newtown hit back with a consolation goal, as Luke Boundford broke through on goal to slot past John Danby.

At full time, Andy Morrison had kept his record of losing no more than two league games in a row, whilst Chris Hughes will be encouraged by a strong performance despite defeat.

The result saw Nomads stay in second place, with TNS retaining their top spot after a 2-0 win over Llanelli Town at Stebonheath Park.

Featured Image: NCM Media


Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.