Cardiff Metropolitan 2-0 Swansea City Ladies: Clipston and Schupbach’s first-half goals enough to secure victory over Swans

Cardiff Metropolitan Women moved to the top of the Welsh Premier Women’s League as they beat last season’s runners-up Swansea City at Cyncoed Campus.

The Archers made the most of the league leaders Port Talbot’s involvement in the FAW Women’s Cup, to go three points clear at the top.

Kerry Harris’ side scored two first-half goals to secure the victory, but Swansea City challenged them in the second half, but couldn’t claim a goal back, for all their hard work and endeavour.

Cardiff Met scored with the first chance of the game. Naomi Clipston played the ball through to Madison Schupbach who beat the offside trap and the challenge of Brisland to slot home into an empty net.

Ellie Lake earnt a free-kick for the away side, in a central position outside the box. Passmore could only blaze her free-kick over the bar though.

Jodie Passmore was then presented with a yellow card, for a late foul on Tija Richardson, as the Met skipper received treatment.

Cardiff Met doubled their lead just over the half-hour mark. Hancock pulled the shirt of Liv Thompson and Naomi Clipston went from provider to goalscorer, with a superbly hit free-kick.

The game was paused as Swansea City’s Sophie Hancocks picked up an injury,  after a hard tackle. That injury brought the sting out of the game, as the two sides put their battle into midfield before the half-time whistle was blown.

The Swans came out rejuvenated in the second half, as they tried to claim something back from the game Two early chances, highlighted the Swans intent to get back into the game. Powe’s corner-kick almost went directly into the net but went just the other side of the post. Hancocks then dragged wide an effort at Randall’s goal.

READ  From whipping girls to unbeaten this season

Emma Beynon and Jodie Passmore then challenged Randall from two separate free-kicks.

As Swansea sought a goal to get back in the game, they almost went further behind. Naomi Clipston’s shot clipped the post.

Lake played over a smart ball to Passmore and her shot from a tight angle went just wide of the target. Another chance followed, a smart ball was played through to Sarah Adams, as she escaped the Met defence, but she dwelled too much on the ball to force Randall into a save.

The Swansea City defenders put their bodies on the line, as they threw themselves at the barrage of Met shots. The end product ended up with Kate Brisland keeping her side in the game, as she made a terrific save to deny Robyn Pinder.

Ian Owens changed things around, as he tried to get his side back into the game. Ellie Lake was replaced by Katy Hosford, to offer something different in attack.

Their best chance fell to Passmore, as a free-kick from Witts found her head, forcing the Met keeper to save, with just under ten minutes to go.

Welsh Premier Women’s League history was then made as Ching Hang Chun become the first Hong Kong player to play in the Women’s top flight in Wales.

Swansea put pressure on as the game moved into stoppage time, with Chun putting a number of crosses in, but Adams couldn’t get her shot away. Hosford forced a late save as her free-kick made Randall tip her shot away.

The Met defence held on to secure both a clean sheet and a victory, against a team which challenged them last season for the title.

READ  RECAP: Cardiff City Women v Swansea City Ladies

Cardiff Metropolitan Women

Randall, Townsend, Richardson (C), Turner, Mathias, Walker-Smith, Griffiths, Schupbach, Pinder, Thompson, Clipston.

Swansea City Ladies

Brisland, Hancock (Hosford 68), Powe, Witts, Hughes, S.Adams, Beynon, Lake (Jenkins 74), Passmore, John-Davis

Substitutes: Chung, Jenkins, L.Adams, Hosford, Hogben.

(Featured Image: Nat John Davies of Swansea City AFC)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.