Welsh Alliance and Mawddach Cup Review: Big win for Mynydd Llandegai

In the Welsh Alliance Leagues, the Mawddach Cup returned to the forefront of the fixture list, with just one Division One league game being played, as the magic of the cup returned to North Wales.

There were big wins for Mochdre Sports and Mynydd Llandegai, and a potentially momentum changing victory for Llandudno Albion, who knocked Nantlle Vale out of the cup.

We roundup the action.


Llandyrnog United 1-0 Bodedern Athletic

In what was a slightly surprising result, the hosts overcame their patchy run of form to defeat a Bodedern Athletic side that were looking for their third win on the bounce.

Sion Davies netted the only goal of the game in the 25th minute as Llandyrnog United move four points clear of the bottom of the league, while Bodedern Athletic missed the opportunity to close the gap on league leaders, with the side currently sitting three points behind Llangefni Town at the top of the table.

Llanrug United vs Prestatyn Sports

This match was unfortunately postponed due to the stormy weather.


Barmouth Dyffryn 3-1 Llannerchymedd

The hosts ended up progressing with a comfortable win in the end against an out of sorts Llannerchymedd side, who have now not won in their last seven matches.

The deadlock was broken in the 72nd minute, when Bobby Griffith, fresh from an injury hell that’s kept him out for four years, scored with his first touch to open the scoring for the hosts. Griffith was instrumental in the build up for Barmouth Dyffryn’s second of the match too, as he found Jake Jones, who in turn found Shane Jones who doubled the lead just two minutes later.

Barmouth weren’t done there though, and added another goal in the 84th minute, as Paul Lewis dinked the ball over the onrushing keeper to make it 3-0. The visitors got a consolation strike in the 89th minute, when Jack Carter beat the keeper, but the damage was done, and Barmouth duly progressed into the next round.

 Kinmel Bay 4-3 Glan Conwy

The hosts were celebrating at the end of this entertaining match between two in-form teams, who sit just four points apart in the league. Kinmel Bay broke the deadlock in the fifth minute when Jack Wilkins netted, before the in-form Kieran Ellis netted 10 minutes later to make it 2-0.

READ  Caersws appoint former forward Marc Griffiths after Evans stands down

Dan Patterson pulled one back for the visitors in the 34th minute, but the hosts were to continue to make their dominance count, with two quick fire goals after half time, with Matthew Wood and Gygorgy Szabo scoring to make it 4-1. The visitors weren’t done there though, and ensured a nervy end to the match when Connor Davies and Jamie Jones netted in the 75th and 77th minutes respectively, but the hosts held on to progress to the next round.

Llandudno Albion 3-2 Nantlle Vale

A close match ended up with Nantlle Vale suffering their first defeat of the season as Llandudno Albion seized their chance, and progressed into the next round. The visitors actually started the better of the two sides, and were ahead after just three minutes, as Ashley Owen opened the scoring.

It remained 1-0 until after half time, when two goals from Lee Thomas, in the 49th and 65th minute, flipped the match on its head to put the hosts ahead. Nantlle Vale were back on level terms just four minutes later, as Rhys Alun beat the keeper from the penalty spot. However, just as it was beginning to look as though extra time would be needed, Adam Hold scored to send the hosts through, and to send Nantlle Vale out of the Cup.

Llandudno Junction 1-3 Llanrwst United

The visitors progressed at the expense of the club currently struggling at the bottom of Division One.

A Leon Doran double and a Callum Parry goal were enough to see the visitors through, with Jack Nettleton scoring the solitary goal for the hosts, who have only won once so far this season.

Llangefni Town 3-1 Llanberis

The in-form hosts made it 14 matches unbeaten as they progressed past a Llanberis side that have been in a patchy run of form in recent weeks.

Liam Morris netted the opener just three minutes into the match, before Tomos Saynor levelled proceedings for the visitors just seven minutes later. The home side regained the lead in the most unfortunate of ways, as a Louis Williams own goal gifted them the lead shortly before half time.


After the break, both teams had their chances, but it was Llangefni Town who managed to score to move 3-1 ahead, with Liam Morris netting his second of the match with just 15 minutes remaining.

Mochdre Sports 5-3 Meliden

An entertaining fixture saw Mochdre Sports head into the next round of the Mawddach Cup, with Meliden being knocked out in the process.

Chris Marsden opened the scoring for the visitors in the 25th minute, but Kai Davies equalised just two minutes later from the penalty spot. Davies added a second goal that made it 2-1 to Mochdre Sports in the 31st minute, before Josh Grimshaw added another less than a minute later to ensure the hosts were in a confident position. Grimshaw scored his second of the match in the 39th minute to make it 4-1 to the hosts.

After half time, the visitors came out with a renewed sense of optimism, and started the second half better than their opponents. Marsden got his and Meliden’s second of the match in the 50th minute from the penalty spot, and Elliot Hughes made it 4-3 in the 82nd minute, to ensure an exciting ending to the match. However, the visitors hopes were dashed just seven minutes later, when Niall Owen made it 5-3 to Mochdre Sports to ensure they progressed into the next round.

Mynydd Llandegai 7-3 Amlwch Town

The hosts put in a dominant display to progress into the next round against an out of form Amlwch Town side that have lost every match so far this season. The hosts started the brighter, and broke the deadlock in the 15th minute through Gwyn Roberts. However, Amlwch Town quickly equalised through Adam Taylor, before Andrew Barker scored to put the hosts back ahead.

However, the visitors grew into the game from there, with Chris Byast and Owen Rowlands scoring in the 33rd and 45th minute respectively, to ensure Amlwch Town were ahead 3-2 at half time. After the break however, it was all one-way traffic, as two goals from Jamie Whitmore, and goals from Iwan Morris, Dylan Jones and a second strike from Andrew Barker made the difference as Mynydd Llandegai progressed.

Penmaenmawr Phoenix 3-1 Greenfield

Penmaenmawr Phoenix continued their fine run of form with a good performance as they ended up comfortably dispatching Greenfield. The visitors actually began as the better of the two sides, and were ahead after only three minutes when Sam Jones opened the scoring.

READ  Huws Gray Alliance player Fosu-Mensah signs professional contract

However, from that moment on, the hosts were in control, and were back level when Caldecott scored in the 35th minute. After half time, Daniel Williams and Ben Lumstram scored to make it 3-1 and to send the hosts through.

Penrhyndeudraeth 1-2 Holyhead Town

Both sides were in a patchy run of form heading into this match, and it was Holyhead Town who progressed. Gary Owen opened the scoring for the visitors in the eighth minute.

It remained 1-0 until the 73rd minute, when Meilir Williams netted the equaliser from the penalty spot. However, the hosts were on level terms for just three minutes, as Tom Roberts netted to send the visitors through to the next round.

Pentraeth 2-1 Y Felinheli

Extra time was needed to separate these two teams, but it was Pentraeth who progressed, becoming the first side to defeat Felinheli this season.

Gruff John opened the scoring for the visitors in the 27th minute, and it looked like being the winning goal, until Rhys Roberts equalised for Pentraeth with just a minute of normal time remaining, forcing the match into extra time. Luke Owen then netted the winner in the 103rd minute to send Pentraeth through into the next round of the Cup.

St Asaph City 2-1 Gaerwen

It was an entertaining first half, as St Asaph City managed to progress into the next round of the Cup.

Duncan Midgley scored the opener in the 16th minute for the hosts. The visitors grew into the game however, and began to control the match, and they were rewarded in the 39th minute when Joe Jones scored from the penalty spot, to make it 1-1.

However, just two minutes later, John Terry headed the home side back in front, and St Asaph City managed to hold on for the win, withstanding a lot of pressure from the visitors at times in the second half as they looked for an equaliser.

FEATURED IMAGE: Lewis Mitchell

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.