Cardiff Metropolitan 3-0 Barry Town United: Archers hammer league leaders to reignite top six hopes

(Image: Will Cheshire)

Cardiff Metropolitan put themselves in with a shout of qualifying for the top six after seeing off the challenge of league leaders Barry Town United.

Goals from Charlie Corsby, Adam Roscrow and Eliot Evans helped the Met claim all three points in the only league game to be played today in the whole of the United Kingdom to make it back to back home wins for the first time since May. The Cyncoed Curse continued for Barry who are yet to win in the South Wales capital in the Welsh Premier League.

The Met came into the game seeing that both Caernarfon and Aberystwyth Town had dropped points and knowing a win would put them within touching distance of reaching the top six for the third consecutive season.

The Archers bought in Joel Edwards and Will Evans back into the starting eleven in place of Rhydian Morgan and Guto Williams who dropped to the bench.

Opponents Barry Town United, fresh from their Boxing Day win over their challengers also made two changes with Macaulay Southam-Hales and Troy Greening coming in for Momodou Touray and Paul Morgan.

Cardiff Metropolitan were denied a penalty early on as Michael Lewis looked to have caught Adam Roscrow off of the ball.

Mclaggon, who scored the opening goal in Barry’s 2-1 win on Boxing Day saw his shot go narrowly wide of the target after good work from Jonathan Hood and Chris Hugh before the striker wanted a penalty after he sensed that he was fouled by Wooldridge.

(Image: Will Cheshire)

The Archers opened the scoring just before half-time when a cross from Rees wasn’t cleared and the ball rebounded to Corsby who shot first time past the despairing Lewis who could only get a fingertip to it, before going into the left-hand corner for his first goal of the season.

READ  Llanelli Town sign former Swans defender Tancock and wing-back Parry

Christian Edwards’s men started the second half well and after good work from Rees, his cross found Will Evans headed just over the bar before Adam Roscrow made the game safe in the 78th minute when he stroked the ball home after good hold up play from Eliot Evans who finds the striker on the far side inside the box.

Eliot Evans should have scored a third after Lewis failed to clear the ball leaving an open goal but the talisman could only see his shot go wide and hit the side netting.

A minute later Eliot Evans sealed the game with a lovely third. The Wales C International picked the ball up from the edge of the area before a delivering a cross turn shot which floated into the back of the net.

Harry Owen could have made it four after finding himself one on one with Lewis but his shot across goal could hit the post before bouncing away from danger in the last action of what was a great game for Welsh Football.

Cardiff Met: Lang, Rees, McCarthy, Woolridge (C), Lewis, Edwards, E Evans, Baker (Owen, 71) Roscrow (Phillips 89,) Corsby, W Evans

Barry Town: Lewis, Southam-Hales, Cooper, Cosslett, (Gerrard, 60), Hugh, Green (Touray, 68) Patten, Greening, Mclaggon, Cotterill (C), Hood (Watkins 46).

(Featured Image: Will Cheshire)

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.