MATCH REPORT: Taffs Well 2-1 Port Talbot Town

Taffs Well edged out Port Talbot in a highly contested game which offered golden opportunities for both sides.

Lee Bridgeman’s Wellmen got the best of Paul Evan’s Steelmen in a win that puts Taffs Well in the top six, with an 8 point gap over Saturday’s opponents Port Talbot.

The game kicked off with all the intentions of an attacking match and it took just minutes for Jonathan Hood to take the ball off of Aaron Thomas, giving him an opportunity to score but his shot went sailing past the post.

A midfield battle would take place in the early stages of the game and it would be evident that the game would be won and lost in the middle of the pitch. Port Talbot’s Scott McCoubrey lofted a ball over to the Port Talbot attackers but the physical presence of Craig McDonnall ended the attack. 

Jonathan Hood would show that he would play a big part in the game as he forced multiple Taffs Well players to foul him for a free-kick in the opposition half, Remi Whitlock would take and his free-kick was almost headed in by Lewis Holmes.

It would be Taffs Well who would open the scoring though, after Remi Whitlock fouled Michael Murphy, a Taffs Well free-kick taken by Tom Burridge went out for a corner, from the resulting corner, Tim Parker would score with a superb header. 

After the goal, Taffs Well and Parker looked like scoring again when an Aaron Thomas met the head of Parker but his header went over. 

A great passing sequence put together by Taffs Well, which was started by Aaron Thomas before passing to Joe Evans who would release Leon Jeanne in to attack the Port Talbot goal, but his cross would go out for a corner. Craig McDonall would almost score from the same route that the Wellmen scored through. 

READ  Bridgend Street 0-3 Aberbargoed Buds: Buds sweep aside Street in commanding display

Port Talbot’s Remi Whitlock would then pick up the first yellow card of the match. 

Scott McCoubrey would almost equalise for Port Talbot as his shot would go just over the bar. Jon Hood would then force the Well keeper Walters to come out and his shot looping shot went just over the bar. 

Lewis Holmes would then put in a corner which unfortunately for the away side would only go into the side netting. The referee would bring the first half to a close as Taffs Well remained firm in the first half.

Port Talbot would begin the second half as they did in the first, showing their attacking intent with Jon Hood forcing a save from Wyn Walters. Jandir Zola would also go close as his free-kick would be headed away from goal. 

Michael Murphy would have the chance to double Taffs Well’s lead after a through ball from Tim Parker but his shot would narrowly go wide. 

Former Port Talbot player Leon Jeanne would then have a penalty appeal turned down after being brought down following his dazing run, but the referee adjudged it to have been a fair tackle. 

Scott McCoubrey would force another save from the Taffs Well goalkeeper, with Walters firmly holding onto the ball. Talbot captain Luke Bowen would win the ball off of Tom Burridge in a vital area but Port Talbot couldn’t make the most of it as he would blaze his shot wide. 

Adam Jenkins would replace Jandir Zola as Port Talbot looked to change things in the park and he almost made an instant impact as his ball to Luke Bowen would deflect out for a corner kick. 

READ  Local boy thriving for Barry Town United

After a squabble between the two sets of players, McDonall of Taffs Well would receive a yellow card. The Well would get a man advantage though as Remi Whitlock would receive his second yellow card of the match, being sent off for dissent. 

The sending-off wouldn’t affect Port Talbot though as Luke Bowen would loft the ball over to Jon Hood, who would slot home and equalise for the away side. 

The two sides wouldn’t remain level for long though as Tom Burridge showed his physical presence as he won the ball from a rebounded free-kick and whacked the ball with pure velocity to put the home side back into the lead.

Despite the joy of going in front though, Taffs Well themselves would be down to ten men as Craig McDonall would foul Port Talbot’s goalscorer Hood, stopping their chance of breaking away in on goal. 

With the sending-off making it even for both sides, Port Talbot took the initiative and were persistent in their opportunities in front of goal. Craig Jones’s cross went more as a shot, forcing Walters to tip over. Jon Hood would then try to register his second goal of a day but Walters would save again, putting the ball out for a corner.

The scorer would then almost turn provider as Jon Hood set up Luke Bowen but Walters ensured that he wouldn’t be beaten for the second time of the day as he would save his shot. Port Talbot would also go close again with a corner being cleared off the line. 

READ  Pennies bring three to Pen-Y-Pound for end of season run

The home side would then close the game out by going near the corner flag, drawing multiple free-kicks. The referree would blow for full-time as Rory McCreesh’s goal-kick went into the air. 



Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.