Llantwit go top with win over Ely

Llantwit Major went top of Division Three this evening after securing a 4-2 away victory over Ely Rangers.

In the opening half of the match it looked like the game would be a repeat of the 1-1 draw two weeks ago between the two sides, with no real clear-cut chances for either side.

It would be Llantwit the most likely to open the scoring though as Jon Butler would use his long-throw to Major’s advantage as the ball was launched into the box, giving Rhys Llewellyn the opportunity to score but his free header was saved by the  Jack Perks in the Rangers goal. 

The away side thought that the first goal of the game had been scored but forward Luke Cox was judged to have fouled an Ely player by the referee when jumping for the ball.

 Ely had a chance of their own as Josh Allen played a long pass which almost teed up Sam Johnson to perfection but the ball just escaped him.

Allen would almost score himself but his shot would deflect off a Llantwit player and fall safely into the arms of Ben Mcrum. 

The away side changed to long distance shooting to test Ely keeper as Glyn Davies and Jon Fletcher had shots that went narrowly wide of each post. 

The first half came to a close with Major finishing the strongest with more opportunities.


In the second half it would be a frantic start as Perks would bring down Luke Cox in the box for a penalty with the keeper cautioned, as well as Kyle Offer also going into the referees notebook. 

READ  Pontypridd Town sign experienced duo Beddard and Burnett

Rob Jones stepped up and spotted the penalty to the left of the goal putting Major in front. 

It would be 2-0 not long after Jon Butler would bear down on goal and score after hard work and determination, looping the ball over him wth a header. 

After going two goals down, Rangers were inscened after a penalty appeal was turned down, with Josh Beddis crossing the ball into the box and the home side claiming Sam Johnson had been elbowed in the back of the head but the referee waved away the appeals.

They would have a chance to score, as Josh Allen would have a relatively close free-kick but it would hit the wall, being his last contribution of the game as he made way for Kareem Leigh.

Llantwit would go three in front not long after though as Leroy Jones would control the ball well and dip the ball over Perks with a stunning half-volley. 

With Rangers refusing to let the game seem one-sided they clawed one back as forward Kareem Leigh would score a header after being unmarked. 

Young forward Sam Snaith would put the game beyond reasonable doubt though as he would pull away, creating time and space for himself to pull away a low shot which would bring scenes of joy for the away side.

Gareth Davies had a flurry of half-chances and rebounds from one initial attack which meant a goal line clearance for the Rangers defence.
Rangers would claw one back though to restore pride as Adam Griffiths would score from a header after the initial chance was blocked.

READ  Bridgend Street 2-4 STM Sports: Gardiner's side secure crucial victory over Cardiff rivals

There was late pressure from Josh Beddis who caused problems with his crosses as well as Dan Griffiths cross forcing Ben McRum to tip it away for a corner.

Major would out the late charge from Rangers and walk away from Station Road with the three points. 

One thought on “Llantwit go top with win over Ely”

  1. Pingback: cymru.futbol
  2. Trackback: cymru.futbol

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.