MATCH REPORT: Cardiff Metropolitan University 2-1 Pontypridd Town (AET)

Nathaniel MG Cup

Cyncoed Campus, Cardiff

Tuesday, October 03, 2017




 Cardiff Metropolitan University progressed to the Quarter Finals of the Nathaniel MG Cup, after defeating Pontypridd Town at Cyncoed Campus last night. 

The home team dominated affairs after going 0-1 down, and they managed to snatch a result after extra-time to maintain their unbeaten home record in all competitions 

Pontypridd Town were the side dominating in the opening couple of minutes of the match, as they hunted for an early goal, although it didn’t come and it wasn’t long until The Met took control of possession.

On the 4th minute, Adam Roscrow blasted the ball just over the bar after connecting with Eliot Evans’ corner; Cardiff were grafting to get off to a flying start.

Although five minutes later, Adam Johns went down to a challenge from Emlyn Lewis, and Pontypridd were awarded a penalty.  Danny Hooper stepped up and blasted the ball into the top left corner of the net, to make it 0-1; it was the perfect start for the Division Two team.

The Archers looked for a response, and an opportunity appeared on the 15th minute, when Chris Baker stroked a pass through to Jordan Lam, who put the ball wide from inside the box.

Baker was the creator, and on the 21st minute he slid the ball through to Roscrow, who forced the goalkeeper to make a save and win a corner but nothing came of it.  The Met were attacking wave after wave as they continued to challenge the Pontypridd defence, and win corner after corner.

READ  Nathaniel MG Cup: Cambrian cause another cupset, Met and TNS comfortably through as Nomads leave it late

Jack Wheeler beat the defender and smashed the ball at goal from the right of the six-yard box; it was deflected towards Aidan Lewis, who ferociously hammered the ball towards goal, although it went out for a goal kick.

The Met did not want to fall further behind and they responded in attacking style, as they scared the Pontypridd defence with a couple of attempts at goal that should have been finished.

Play began to rotate around Lam who wanted the ball at every opportunity; he had a couple of shots himself, including one which almost touched the corner flag.  Cardiff were desperately antagonizing the Pontypridd defence, who stood strong and continued to hold out until half-time.

Danny Hooper opens the scoring from the spot to give Pontypridd Town a shock lead. Image Credit: Matthew Lofthouse

The second-half opened the same as the end of the first, with The Met attacking, and on the 49th minute Lam won a free-kick in a decent position after utilizing his silky skills.  Josh Barnett took the free-kick and Lewis tried to get on the end of it, however David Allen was there to block and prevent an equalizing goal.

Cardiff continued to attack the Pontypridd defence that seemed impossible to breakdown, and they missed a range of opportunities.  Although their hard work paid off on the 78th minute when Roscrow battled to force the ball into the net, to bring the score to 1-1.

The Met were not letting up as they determinedly attacked, looking for the winning goal.  It wasn’t long before Roscrow popped up again, to launch a rocket at goal that smashed off the crossbar; Pontypridd were relieved.

READ  Dawes announced as new Bangor manager

The 90 minutes ended 1-1, and extra-time was called on the chilly night in Cardiff.  It kicked off with both teams attacking and trying to take a crucial lead.  The closest attempt of the first-half of extra-time came from Baker on the 6th minute, with a low, powered drive on target that David Burnett dived to the ground to parry.

Adam Roscrow converts a late penalty to seal the win for the home side and book their place in to the next round. 
Image Credit: Matthew Lofthouse

On the 16th minute of extra-time, Evans was brought down by Burnett, and the referee awarded The Archers a penalty.  Roscrow stepped up to blast the ball low, off the left post, and into the net to make it 2-1.

Allen was shown a straight red card in the final minute of extra-time, and Pontypridd’s Reece Carr hammered a free-kick from the edge of the box, over the bar just after.

Roscrow’s goal proved to be the winner, and Cardiff deserved to win for their outstanding attacking display in the first-half, and their ability to come from behind to win, and hold out for the final 14 minutes of extra-time, to seal their place in the next round of the cup.

CARDIFF METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY Fuller; Rees (Morgan 45), McCarthy; Woolridge (C), Lewis; Barnett (Evans 65), Evans; Baker, Roscrow (Thomas ET 17); Corsby, Lam(Howell)

Not Used: Swindlehurst, Evans

PONTYPRIDD TOWN: Burnett, Wheeler, Hooper (Carr 79), McCarthy (Cordle ET 15), Allen, Briers, Johns, Lewis, Gullick, Easter, Bellamy (Hill 61)

Not Used: Bird

READ  Seasiders search for first win and TNS aiming for third consecutive victory

Man of the Match: Adam Roscrow

(Featured Image: Matthew Lofthouse)

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.