AFC Porth 0-1 Penydarren BGC: Long nets only goal as Miners move up to second

(Image: Penydarren BGC)

Eighth-placed Porth suffered their first defeat since the opening day of the season, as Penydarren moved up to second in Division Three. 

Penydarren are now behind Trethomas Bluebirds on just goal difference. Trethomas had the chance to go two points clear of Penydarren, but could only draw with Chepstow Town.

It was just one of four games played in the Division, with a number of sides in JD Welsh Cup action. Porth had been knocked out by Pencoed Athletic, whilst last season’s Welsh Cup quarter-finalists were knocked out by Garden Village.

Porth started the game the brighter of the two sides with a quick counter-attack and the ball finding its way to Porth wingback Sam Gamble. However, the pass forced him too far wide and he failed to find his teammates in the box.

Porth continued to dominate the opening exchanges of the match. Gamble again winning a freekick just inside the Penydarren half. He took the freekick himself, whipping it towards the back post but somehow evaded all three Porth men who attacked it.

As the first half went on Porth lost their grip on the game on the game and the visitors began to see much more of the ball. Striker Christopher Colvin looking an imminent threat.

His excellent feet down the right-hand side, allowed him to float in a cross, which Brogden just headed wide from. This provided a warning for Betteney’s Porth.

Porth attacker Ieuan Gowen, who is top goal scorer for the Black Dragons this season, was booked for a late challenge on Penydarren’s Scott Pike, after committing a similar foul earlier on in the half.

READ  Trefelin BGC 2-1 Panteg - Matthew Stanton's goalkeeping heroics help Trefelin regain top spot in WL3

Despite the away side dominating the ball, Porth were well drilled within their 3-5-2 formation and Penydarren struggled to create any clear-cut chances.

Porth hit Penydarren on the counter-attack with Josh Davies almost finding Jacob Whitfield. Alex Lloyd gets back though and passes it back to his goalkeeper who picks the ball up. An obvious back pass that the referee does not pick up on leaving the home dugout furious.

Having not had a foothold in possession, Porth had a rare chance. The Black Dragons went on the counter-attack, Josh Davies almost found Jacob Whitfield for a clear chance.

The first-half drew to a close with the score goalless and Penydarren edging it, with no clear-cut chances for either side.

(Image: Will Cheshire)

As play resumed for the second half, the Premier Division Champions had a more positive outlook in them in the second half.

An early chance from Colvin-Owens, saw his shot go just wide of the goal, with Ed Caple getting in a block, enough to put him off from a clear shot.

Penydarren’s attacking intent continued and after Scott Pike found Lewis, who had a clear chance to score, he was denied by the offside flag, for an almost certain goal.

Connor Kinsey then flowed an early cross to Lloyd, but his header at the back-post, went the other side of the goal.

Kinsey again was then involved, as he had his own shot, after Caple’s clearance wasn’t cleared properly, with his sweet volley clipping the post.

The away side did have their goal though, just after the hour mark. Joshua Brogden crossed the ball in to Colvin-Owen for a glancing header but Morgan Davies denied him, but Brogden was there to unleash a powerful shot, to give Penydarren the lead.

READ  Pontypridd Town's first home league fixture delayed

Ryan Betteney introduced Aled Mogg into the action as they chased an immediate response. He replaced Whitfield and earnt a free-kick. Front-man Gowen’s free-kick was just a yard wide of Price’s goal.

Gowen’s chance proved to be the last real effort for Porth, as Penydarren managed to hold on for the victory.

(Featured Image: Will Cheshire)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.