Taffs Well 0-3 Cardiff City XI: Welsh Premier League trio appear in young Bluebirds pre-season win

Cardiff, Wales. 13th July 2018. Taffs Well host a Cardiff City XI at their Rhiw’r Ddar ground. Lewis Mitchell/Alamy Live News.

A youthful Cardiff City side beat Welsh Football League Division One side Taffs Well convincingly at Rhiw Ddâr on Friday evening.

First team players had been expected to play, but with dry weather affecting the pitch, Cardiff opted to play their developmental side. Instead, the first-teamers, met the packed out crowd, posing for photographs and signing autographs.

There was a Welsh Premier League connection, with four players who have played in Wales’ top flight on the pitch. Former Connah’s Quay Nomads frontman Rhys Healey scored twice, whilst Bangor City duo Brayden Shaw and Matthew Hall played, along with The New Saints full-back Ryan Pryce.

Shaw had been deployed as a winger and had a few efforts at goal, but was denied. Goalkeeper Hall was assertive in goals, commanding his area well and claiming crosses. Ryan Pryce had an assist and looked eager going forward.

Taffs Well began the game and had the games first chance. Former Cardiff City youngster Abdi Noor crossed to Matty James and he headed over.

Cardiff’s first chance came from Rhys Healey from a free-kick. He hit it over the wall and Stephen Hall dived down to save.

The Bluebirds were continuing their early pressure and Ciaron Brown saw his header cleared off the line by Lloyd Toghill.

Moments later, Healey was involved again and played a pass to Waite, but Hall kept the score level.

Cardiff, Wales. 13th July 2018. Taffs Well host a Cardiff City XI at their Rhiw’r Ddar ground. Lewis Mitchell/Alamy Live News.

In the 19th minute though, the deadlock was broken, despite Hall’s best efforts. A cross was rolled into the path of Healey and he tucked it home from close range.

READ  Barry Town United snap up Taffs Well ace Jones

Cardiff almost doubled immediately, but Hall was in inspired form. The former Carmarthen Town keeper saved Brown’s point-blank header, as well as denying Shaw the chance for his first Cardiff goal.

Cardiff were awarded a penalty just over the half-hour mark, Lloyd Toghill pulled down Healey. Healey stepped up but Hall dived the right way to prevent Healey’s double.

The Bluebirds made a raft of changes in the second half, including the introduction of Ryan Pryce. Rhys Healey slid the ball past substitute keeper Fleming.

The introduction of former Port Talbot Town manager Cortez Belle offered the Wellmen more going forward. Belle put a pass into the path of Aaron Garrett, but he was judged offside. Belle later headed over from a cross from Abdi Noor, as Taffs Well tried to claw one back.

Three minutes from time though, Cardiff City had their third. A superb cross from Ryan Pryce found Scott McLean and he shot into the corner, securing a comfortable victory for the Bluebirds.

Taffs Well:

Stephen Hall, Jamal Roberts, Max Cullen, Aaron Garrett, Matty James, Lloyd Toghill, Chris Davies, Warren Jones, Laurent Mondo, Abdi Noor, Lewis Ellis.

Substitutes: Ryan Fleming, Amine Benkorichi, Cortez Belle, Kallum Hajgato, Ellis Bellamy, Dylan Amin.

Cardiff City

Lee Camp, Cameron Coxe, Jamie Veale, Ciaron Brown, Jack McKay, Matt Taylor, James Waite, Jake Evans, Rhys Healey, Brayden Shaw, Mark Harris.

Substitutes: Ryan Pryce, Matt Hall (gk), Dan Martin, Jack Bodenham, Nathan Baxter, Elvis, Dylan Sumner, Burrows, Wootton, Jack McLean, McLean.

(Featured Image: Lewis Mitchell)

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.